Access Jobs adverts (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:17
I have been thinking about having a section where employers can post ads where they are seeking Access developers. They would be charged a fee to advertise. Could go towards helping fund this site. Dunno, think any employers would want to do that?

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:17
I like the idea. I stopped using boards like Guru.com because I was competing against people who were willing to work for $3.00 per hour. Although I did get a long term customer from there. We've been in business together for 12 years. He'd already hired and fired 4 "experts" by the time he realized that going for the cheap workers wasn't getting him any quality at all and no real Access knowledge either.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:17
I like it too, though with a full time job I wouldn't be looking for work on it.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Yesterday, 20:17
I like the idea. I stopped using boards like Guru.com because I was competing against people who were willing to work for $3.00 per hour. Although I did get a long term customer from there. We've been in business together for 12 years. He'd already hired and fired 4 "experts" by the time he realized that going for the cheap workers wasn't getting him any quality at all and no real Access knowledge either.
I know many experts like that.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
It seems like a great idea to me. I've seen a bunch of these other contract worker gig websites too like Pat was mentioning, they're all nonsense... you can't even come close to competing with the rates people are willing to do things for, but it's probably crap work.

Your idea would give employers the unique opportunity to get a window into their potential applicant's brain and experience that no other employer gets. Excellent idea. I might look at it occasionally, although one side client fills up most of my gig time.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I am struggling to find an appropriate bit of software for a job board, that integrates with Xenforo. The alternative is to have stand alone software separate from Xenforo, as perhaps a WordPress plugin. I prefer a Xenforo solution since then potential employers could see the post counts of members who reply, and people could perhaps ask questions about the job.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
The headline was so weird, it clickbaited me, I had to read it.
Weird...I've never heard of a lawyer who can code, although I'm sure some of anything is out there in this big world.

Regardless, the collaboration between lawyers and coders is certainly relevant and something I knew - everyone wants a software that knows the law and can auto-produce legal artifacts for them, although I'm sure that is a limited game. Having read a lot of cases in law school and being required to understand what their meaning for real life was, I'd have a hard time seeing a software program that can assess a set of facts and then recommend a legal strategy for defense or litigation!

But for boilerplate stuff like contracts and real estate and business founding, those products seem pretty common. Legalzoom, etc.

A great example of what software CAN work with a million pre-determined conditional inputs/outputs, is Turbotax.com. Which of course is the product of a collaboration between lawyers, accountants and coders.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
a quick and dirty might be to create a new forum with rules around paying membership to start a thread. - Could this then be linked on the top menu section?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:17
Having a job board might easily boost visitorship by a bunch, but the trick would be regulating it. Probably would need to sub-divide it into "need local person" - and therefore include a bunch of regional sub-headings - vs. "need person to work remotely." Can XenForo give you a third level of heading sub-division? I.e. "Work on-site" >> "USA" >> "New Orleans"

As a moderator, I would be interested in knowing what the rules would be regarding posts - both original listings and responses. We would probably need to tightly limit response posts to prevent people from turning such a thing into a chat-fest or a rant-fest.

OR are you talking about something that ISN'T a forum at all?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
a quick and dirty might be to create a new forum with rules around paying membership to start a thread. - Could this then be linked on the top menu section?
I have considered that, although then how do you charge by the advert? I don't want to create anything that gives me much overhead, since I am always short on time.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Possibly that. It all depends on available solutions. I was not thinking about anyone having the ability to reply to stuff.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Having a job board might easily boost visitorship by a bunch, but the trick would be regulating it. Probably would need to sub-divide it into "need local person" - and therefore include a bunch of regional sub-headings - vs. "need person to work remotely." Can XenForo give you a third level of heading sub-division? I.e. "Work on-site" >> "USA" >> "New Orleans"

As a moderator, I would be interested in knowing what the rules would be regarding posts - both original listings and responses. We would probably need to tightly limit response posts to prevent people from turning such a thing into a chat-fest or a rant-fest.

Thinking of this from the standpoint of the potential worker, and for the benefit of the developers, I almost think it might be better to leave off the option of making it regional at all. Why do I say that? Because out of all the employers who think that they need someone to be local, and especially for gig/project work, 90% of them are wrong. (IMO). But those 90% will be encouraged in their wrong view of things by having the option. I think what you'll end up with is tons and tons of ads posted in, say, memphis, chicago, phoenix, london, whatever, and then after some conversations between them and the developer, they'll admit yeah I guess I don't really care where you are... But by then most of the people who responded will probably only be local, unless they foresaw this scenario and also have the stomach to try to change the employer's mind.

The very few who really do need to hire a full-time on site worker, could put it in the post. This is totally arguable and reasonable people could be on both sides of this I suppose, but that's just my thought at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom