Access/SQL Back End Design Problems (1 Viewer)

JM79

Local time
Today, 10:06
Hi,

Just getting used to this. Im not really an Access programmer nor SQL but I thought id try my hand for a call logging company system.

I have a few questions

1. Autonumber. Why does it not create a number as soon as I start inputting into the first field? I have to jump out of the record and come back to see which number it is. No good for our call workers as they need to give their customers a reference straight away.

2. Subforms. We have branches and branch descriptions. i.e 13 - Coventry.
One of the views taken from another db on the same server provides both in a duall column combo box. When the branch is chosen though, it only displays the branch number. I have tried to use a subform to display the description - this works but again we have a delay problem as above with the autonumber - I need to jump out of the record and back in again to refresh.

3. Subforms II. I have another subform which is reached by a button. This displays all employees, again using a view. When the desired employee has been searched for and found I want another button on this subform to drop the employees payroll number into a field on the main form and in turn close the subform down.

4. SQL Logins. The Access database is opened using the SQL login name and pword for that server. Upon entry I have a main screen which utitiles the My_Login (dbo) view to gather my login name e.g. Jsmith inner joined to an Access table called Db_User which holds the PK i.e Jsmith and description John Smith. The front screen then allows it to say Good Morning John Smith !
I want to use this John Smith field on my query sheet so that it defaults my 'Logged By' field to the user that is logged in i.e John Smith . Possible ?

TIA guys !

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom