Access World logo (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:22
Anyone think the logo here needs pimping?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Example:

1583953045066.png

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:22
Might look more professional if you had something else, but it doesn't seem to have any ill effects on the number of people who seem to be signing up lately and making positive comments on content rather than looks.
I guess what is a good example of "pimping' will be in the eye of the beholder. :unsure:
Not sure that is an example of that!

BTW, I hope that's a hand at the smilie's mouth and not someone spewing out milk....

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I've spent a lot of time in the past thinking about logos. One thing I realised is that when you have a tall logo, it can have a negative impact. A tall logo would push down more content below the fold, taking up unnecessary space.

Also, whilst there is "world" in the site name, the focus is not world, it is databases. Consequently, I think a symbol that emphasises that part would be better. This site is nothing to do with the world, but rather the world of Access.

Having said all that, I appreciate your participation in the thread. Thrashing things out gives different insights.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
My current favourite is my second logo above. It could do well in both light and dark themes. Perhaps I can try different fonts. Also, the 4 blocks could make a good favicon, helping people find their Access World tab nice and easily.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Logo's are very subjective I think, you know when you see a good one, but I never really actually know why it's good.

Database people ore often not good at making things "pretty", preferring to get it functionally correct first, then something else crops up and the ergonomics/fluffy good looks go out the window.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
People pay a fortune for logos. I have an idea of what font I might try. I bought one a few years ago, and it was pricey. It is a bit like the star trek font! So I will use that and see what it looks like.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I dont know how much exposure the Home page gets as I have never really looked at it before you started this thread. Most of whats there is dated 2011. Might be a good time to update that as well.

Is that you Jon narrating the videos?

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
It's interesting to hear what you sound like (at least what you sounded like 9 years ago) having never met you and only seeing your Pic. Not what I expected. Same seeing Doc's, NG, Giz and a few others.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I am fairly softly spoken.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 17:22
Definitely not - the previous font was much better.

I agree it needs to be simple and flat. No 3D globes.

Not sure I like the aqua Windows logo, though. Stick with Access, as long as you don't run into copyright issues.

Also, check out the ad. Coincidence?

Windows.png

zeroaccess

Local time
Also, I suggest trying Microsoft's Segoe UI font, probably in Semibold or Bold.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Not what I expected. Same seeing Doc's, NG, Giz and a few others.

@moke123 - My picture is not what you expected? I don't have a more recent one at the moment, and the one I uploaded differs from my current reality in another way. In that pic, I still have a bit of hair on top. But there I am in my dapper, mustachioed glory.

And would you believe that the spell checker knows "mustachioed"? I sometimes feel that I am slipping if I don't throw in a word that doesn't trigger the spell-checker someway. It is an inherent ego problem for old sesquipidalians like me.

Ha! Got it with "sesquipidalian."

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I nearly did too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom