Add a combo box to new record form (1 Viewer)

renrenren

Local time
Today, 03:56
I am wanting to create a form for each record. I'm cool with the process of dragging the field names across onto the blank form, this is all sorted but I get a bit stuck when I want to change some of the value fields into a combo box so that it makes it easier for the user to select options when creating a new record.
I think this might be because the fields are bound?
When I create a unbound box I can just right click and edit the listed options, but this option is not available with the bound box.

Thanks

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 19:56
To create a combobox, I would recommend using the Design tab and identifying the combobox control up there - click it, then draw it on the form.

Once this is done, you would want to pay special attention to the combobox properties:

- controlsource
- rowsource and rowsource type
- column count
- column width
- bound column

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I think this might be because the fields are bound?
I don't remember running into any problems when converting a bound Textbox into a bound Combobox. Can you post a sample db?

renrenren

Local time
Today, 03:56
I don't remember running into any problems when converting a bound Textbox into a bound Combobox. Can you post a sample db?

I'll try and post one tomorrow when I have cleaned up the data.

I can convert the box to a combobox but there are no values. When I right click on the combobox in design mode the option is not there to update the list....weird.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I can convert the box to a combobox but there are no values.
Ah, okay, that makes sense. Once a Textbox is converted to a Combobox, you would, of course, have to adjust/fill in the necessary properties of the new control. A Combobox will have different properties as a Textbox, so most of them will be empty at first.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
This is why I recommend you don't go that route - it's unnecessarily confusing, especially if you're trying to draw parallels between Textboxes and Comboboxes that may not exist. Draw them from scratch using the Design pane and watch the properties I listed.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
This is why I recommend you don't go that route - it's unnecessarily confusing,
In my humble opinion, whether you start from scratch or convert an existing control, the end result is the same - you'll still have to touch those properties either way. Cheers!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I agree. But going that route to reach the correct conclusion might be slightly more difficult for the newbie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom