"Add Tables" change in last update (1 Viewer)

RogerCooper

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:40
During the last update in Office, there were a number of changes made in Access. The most annoying change I have found so far is in the Query Design screen. When you add a table it splits tables into Tables & Links

1610047753446.png

Now to find tables, I need to know whether it is local or linked (most are linked for me) and have an extra step to select a linked table. I have many more queries than tables so "All" is awkward to use.

Is there anyone to restore the previous design of this screen.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I've never seen such a thing before. May I ask what version of 365 you are on? I am on 365 pro plus, 16.0.12527.21378

RogerCooper

Registered User.
Local time
1610048283627.png

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 01:40
Whilst I agree the change is irritating, all you have to do is click Tables & Links in turn
The only way would be to revert to a previous version of 365...but the new query design window was introduced several months ago.
You would also then need to disable all future updates

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:40
Use the Feedback option to tell MS how you feel about changes. I write regularly. I hate change for the sake of change and that's what most of these annoyances are .

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I actually like the separation as I frequently have local copies of lookup tables, and therefore it's easier to make sure I use those when I should be.

The addition of the ability to search and replace in the SQL window is such a bonus addition I personally wouldn't go backwards.

RogerCooper

Registered User.
Local time
Search & Replace in the SQL window is handy. I am glad you mentioned it, I have not seen any documentation of the recent update.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The query designer update also includes the ability to 'lasso' tables in the window and move all of them together.
Whether or not you like the splitting of linked tables, the changes are overall a significant improvement in my opinion and I would think carefully before reverting to an earlier version. There are further changes planned which will be implemented later in 2021

See Feast your Eyes on our Access Query Improvements! - Microsoft Tech Community

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I find it's actually far quicker to use that feature, than to try to find the tables in the navigation pane, and drag them in from there, which I am sure you can still do. (without specifically checking). With large dbs's with a lot of dbs objects, I find it takes a few seconds for the navigation pane to refresh when you use the search box, but the new option is virtually instant.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Dave
Nice to see you back here again. Hope all is well with you...

Just confirm you can still drag in tables/queries from the nav pane for those who prefer that approach. Overall the changes are a welcome improvement in my opinion with further significant changes to come for the SQL Editor

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom