Add to "New Member? Read Me First" thread? (1 Viewer)

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:25
My suggestion is to either add to this or create something new that outlines what makes a good post and perhaps touch on forum etiquette. Things about how to post might include advice on
- don't just say "it doesn't work"
- including error numbers and error text as the number alone is not useful
- indicate which code line raises an error
- using code tags
- tell us what you tried
- explain the desired outcome
- and so on (these are just off the top of my head to get across the point)
- and something about cross posting

I realize that there is no guarantee that anyone who joins will read it, but if it's obvious that they have not, it should be easier to point them to the thread than it is to keep repeating the same things over and over - especially to someone who has committed all these oversights in one post. Jon would have to be on board with adding to the existing thread as the new member thread is his.

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:25
I am on board with improving what new members get to see. I created a thread about it. I don't think it had great support to be honest, but it is still something I want to pursue. Often I expect resistance to what I do, but I carry on regardless.

The arguments for are that it tells people somer pertinent things they need to know to best use the forums.

The arguments against are that if it is too long, they won't read it at all.

I had the idea of having mentors that can help guide the new members and help encourage them to get involved. People are great here in replying to newcomers in the Introductions section, but a mentorship is a slight step further.

One option is to have an auto reply to their post in the Introductions section, with a standard template, with items similar to your suggestion. But currently, due to the 35% drop in traffic and also the advertisers cutting back, everything here is now run on a shoe-string and I am not looking to further expenditure on anymore plugins or the like, for now at least.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Hmm, so maybe rather than just "Welcome to AWF!" it would be useful and efficient to post an internal link to such a thread and add something like "if you want to maximize your experience here, review this helpful hints page and help us to help you!" Easy enough to bookmark the thread and copy/paste it.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Yes, I have thought of something similar than that. Or pasting in a template, automatically as mentioned. In essence, I am saying your idea is a great one, in my view. Or have the new user auto-redirected to a post with that information, as happened on the old forum software. That way, you get 100% of people viewing it. But once again, its a plugin thing.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
So forget the plugin and just have a list of tips in a thread that we can point newcomers to in a welcome note?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
yes, that's the one I was referring to in my op title - or one like it.
It seems that newcomers are seeing that anyway as of late, because I see that some of their introductory thread titles have the same title as that one, which is odd. So I assume they have looked at it, and reacted in a way that generates a new thread with that title. It's kind of weird to see READ ME FIRST! in their very first introductory post title!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Yes, I got a bit confused like that but you never know what other people are thinking!

The best method I thought was what we used to have. Someone would go to the site and they would get redirected to that post. I also got lots of Thanks for free which was nice because I then could sit back on my laurels!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Thanks for the suggestion. I have just executed on that.

It would be nice to have a mini video showing what to do. Then someone can see very clearly how to start their own thread in the Introductions area. I'm not sure how necessary that is because I have no idea as to how tech savvy newcomers are.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Give Tony (Uncle Gizmo) a shout.
I am sure he would be happy to create something?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Thanks for the suggestion. I have just executed on that.

It would be nice to have a mini video showing what to do. Then someone can see very clearly how to start their own thread in the Introductions area. I'm not sure how necessary that is because I have no idea as to how tech savvy newcomers are.
Nice.(y) Now being like I am, if the post could be titled 'Introducing myself', 'Just saying Hi' or something along those lines, that I feel would encourage new members? With the cursor in the body of the post, then all they need to do is complete the post? Just an idea.? Is that even possible?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
All the titles would be the same then! I think let people make their own up. And you are right, its not even possible unless some custom programming was done!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Actually, I did think about Uncle, because I think he did something once before along those lines. But I didn't say anything because I don't want anyone to feel obligated that they have to do anything.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Actually, I did think about Uncle, because I think he did something once before along those lines. But I didn't say anything because I don't want anyone to feel obligated that they have to do anything.
I'm all for not reinventing the wheel. :)
It would likely take him less time than most people?
All you can do is ask?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
If he reads this thread, then I will leave it up to him if he feels like it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom