AITD - Am I the dinosaur? (1 Viewer)

skroser

Local time
Today, 08:41
Hi all,

I started writing applications in Access version 2.0 and am still doing it in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. My most complex application was a sales system for a sausage factory, it had a module that programmatically created forms, including 100's of lines of VBA and with optimized layout based on data. I recently wrote an Access system that manages the complex betting rules that have evolved over 25 years of playing poker with the same group of guys - it's a shared screen on Zoom.

I often ask myself whether or not Access is a relic which should be left behind along with floppy discs and dial-up modems. But then a project comes along that would be several times the cost, or not even feasible, in a different platform.

I'm looking forward to learning and contributing here.

Steve

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:41
Welcome to the forums!

To help us better understand your needs, I would be very grateful if you could complete this 2 minute survey: Click here for the survey

All surveys are anonymous and not linked to your account.

I want to keep this the very best place for Access and your feedback helps us!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:41
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 05:41
@skroser , Sounds like fun! Thanks for sharing your background.
Welcome to the AWF !

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:41
I suppose you would have answered your own question if you were still using Access 2.0
Assuming you aren't, you have evolved since then!

You might be interested in this thread of mine from last year:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:41
Don't worry about being a dinosaur. When I retired a few years ago, I had spent 28 1/2 years with the U.S. Navy (Reserve and later SPAWAR division) as an OpenVMS system admin. It was an O/S that came out in the late 1970s, but it was my specialty because I got on board with it early. Forty years later, it was still in use - at version 8.4 - and I was certified in it. About a year after I retired, my assistants shut it down for the last time because they had finally - after over 20 years of trying - upgraded it to a web-based app.

I can't TELL you how many times I was referred to, more or less politely, as the "resident dinosaur herder."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom