American Foreign Policy - Explanation Please? (1 Viewer)

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Today, 16:37
I do not usually get involved or take sides between America and the UK, but something I heard on the News this morning in the UK has got me baffled as to what exactly is the American Foreign Policy, and the stance on Terrorism...

In Syria, American is openly supporting the Rebels who are fighting the Government, the rebels who are wanting Muslim rule, and supposedly are a faction of Al-Qaeda

And now heard on the news this morning that America is opposing the Muslim faction wanting to take over Iraq, who if the news is to be believed is the same faction that are rebels in Syria.....

WTF are you guys doing, and do you even know that the rest of the world is scratching it's head also wondering the same bloomin question....

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
It doesn't matter to the yanks who is who or how many tens of thousands are killed as long as the yanks can still own and pump oil. Hence all the crooked backhanders to George W Bush and his crooked cronies over Iraq.

Col

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:37
Foreign policy in the US has been a mess for a long time. Half the time it seems the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Iraq worked out well didn't it?!

Cant blame the US though , how about Tony Blair still pimping himself round the world as some kind of sage.

Actually since the US like to take most of the credit for WWII - they can take most of the blame for royally f**ing this one up also.

Old Man Devin

Consul Of Code
Local time
I will hazard a guess that the reason is that in Syria the rebels are fighting an oppressive government, so even though they themselves are often extremists who aren't particularly aligned with US interests, their victory may end up being beneficial for the people and end a regime that definitely wasn't US aligned.

Meanwhile in Iraq, the Americans are supporting the government they instated, which is also pretty oppressive. The ethnic minorities rebelling against it are extremists, desperate to fight because the US-backed Iraqi majority ethnic groups are essentially trying to eradicate them.

So in both conflicts, supporting either side puts you in a morally questionable position, so I wouldn't say the American decisions are particularly poor given this, it may just be a 'lesser of two evils' from the viewpoint of American principles.

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 11:37
It doesn't matter to the yanks who is who or how many tens of thousands are killed as long as the yanks can still own and pump oil. Hence all the crooked backhanders to George W Bush and his crooked cronies over Iraq.

Col

And if you don't like it, me and my redneck friends will get all our guns and come over and shoot you :D

scott-atkinson

Local time
And if you don't like it, me and my redneck friends will get all our guns and come over and shoot you :D

There's a Game Show right there....

I have often wondered where the term Red Neck comes from, can you enlighten me?

scott-atkinson

Local time
I will hazard a guess that the reason is that in Syria the rebels are fighting an oppressive government, so even though they themselves are often extremists who aren't particularly aligned with US interests, their victory may end up being beneficial for the people and end a regime that definitely wasn't US aligned.

Meanwhile in Iraq, the Americans are supporting the government they instated, which is also pretty oppressive. The ethnic minorities rebelling against it are extremists, desperate to fight because the US-backed Iraqi majority ethnic groups are essentially trying to eradicate them.

So in both conflicts, supporting either side puts you in a morally questionable position, so I wouldn't say the American decisions are particularly poor given this, it may just be a 'lesser of two evils' from the viewpoint of American principles.

But if the News is to be believed, they are one and the same... they want a united Syria/Iraq... so I do not understand despite your thorough attempt to explain why they would be backing one faction yet opposing the other if both the factions want the same thing... it simply does not make sense... unless as Colin has mentioned it is all to do with oil rights, if so then the Americans have clearly shown themselves to be materialistic egomaniac power hungry land grabbers.....!!!!

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:37
Iraq worked out well didn't it?!

Cant blame the US though , how about Tony Blair still pimping himself round the world as some kind of sage.

I beg you don't neglect the bit part played by the Australian Prime Minister of the day, John Howard.

Howard, Blair and Bush all prayed to their god about what they should do. Unsurprisingly their prayer to an ancient Hebrew war god suggested they attack.

KenHigg

Local time
There's a Game Show right there....

I have often wondered where the term Red Neck comes from, can you enlighten me?

supposed to be dumb poor farm type southern guys who worked in the fields all day and had necks that were red from the sunburn...

Old Man Devin

Consul Of Code
Local time
But if the News is to be believed, they are one and the same... they want a united Syria/Iraq... so I do not understand despite your thorough attempt to explain why they would be backing one faction yet opposing the other if both the factions want the same thing... it simply does not make sense... unless as Colin has mentioned it is all to do with oil rights, if so then the Americans have clearly shown themselves to be materialistic egomaniac power hungry land grabbers.....!!!!

I don't think they are all that similar, I expect they are more concerned with not being killed for their beliefs / ethnicity. If they believe uniting Syria and Iraq would do that then maybe that is their long-term goal, but for now I don't think that is what motivates them.

So really these factions do want different things: one wants to end government rule in Syria, which the US is fine with, the other wants to end government rule in Iraq, which the US isn't okay with since the current Iraqi government is in their pocket.

No doubt the ultimate motivation is politics and power games, since stabilising the regions affected by these wars would make them valuable trading partners and tacit US allies. Or it could also be viewed as the US just supporting democracy: in Syria the rebels are a majority, so the wish of the people is for a new, elected leader, while in Iraq the rebels are fighting a democratically elected government, so aren't exactly playing along with the democracy the US tried to start there.

BugDog

Local time
Yeah, it does seem pretty confused doesn't it.

I don't think anyone can accurately explain WTF it's about. But here's my take FWIW.

Much of it is driven by economic self interests. In years past that might have been the major reason.

Nowdays it's mostly driven by US national election politics. Whatever one side does (Democrat/Republican , Liberal/Conservative) the other side tries to make political hay out of it. So the policies develope around political position and may or may not have any bearing on the situation at hand.

I fear we need to get used to this. It'll get a lot worse before it gets better.

KenHigg

Local time
The ‘Policy’ part of 'American Foreign Policy' to me kinda implies intention to do something consistently, which we clearly do not do very well -

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
This might be somewhat of a shock to some, but George Bush has been out of office since January 20, 2009. You may want look to the current administration for answers. Oh and BTW President Obama's term ends January 20, 2017 you may want to take note.

As you well know and I know you are just being awkward but I'll go along with it as I feel benevolent today.

I was referring to the original illegal 2003 war started by GWB to a) finish his daddies failure and b) to secure long term oil and rebuilding contracts for his cronies for which he received massive backhanders.

Did you not see the documentary Fahrenheit 9/11? It shows how totally corrupt the USA administration is, whoever is in charge, at the moment it is not Obama, it is the senate and congress.

Col

electricjelly

Registered User.
Local time
Im glad we have different opinions about the American foreign policy, but can you cite the sources where you read this? in my experience most things in life are not as simple as "I support you because today is thursday"

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
As I read it the rebels in both cases are of a different religious sect to the "government" , the roots of the problem in these countries as in many parts of Africa is back in the days of European empires when artificial country boundaries were drawn and the native people's were not allowed to develop naturally.

Brian

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
**mind if I jump in?

scott-atkinson:WTF are you guys doing, and do you even know that the rest of the world is scratching it's head also wondering the same bloomin question....

**I told you to be careful what you ask for. The world does not want the US to butt in, get out and leave us alone. Now you wonder why we are doing nothing? Well, we have a LIBERAL administration with a grid locked Liberal Senate that will not allow any bills passed by a conservative majority in the house to be voted on. Rem the LIBERALS attitude. It is the same attitude that put the US and the world in WWI and WWII. It is called ISOLATIONISM!

**Better get use to it, got two more years of this administration. If we do not have a WWIII by then it will only be by God's will that we don't.

ColinEssex:It doesn't matter to the yanks who is who or how many tens of thousands are killed as long as the yanks can still own and pump oil. Hence all the crooked backhanders to George W Bush and his crooked cronies over Iraq.

**First of all, we don't get any of the oil from Iraqy soil. YOU DO! You and the rest of Europe. There are rumors that we used the oil to help pay for the war! NOT!

**We left Iraq in 2011 and should not have. Can you imagine what Europe would have been like if we and other Nato Countries had not occupied bases within the countries we had freed from tyranny.(i.e. Germany, Italy, etc.) I believe Russia would be at your backdoor or worse.

**We should have left a small but lethal regiment of soldiers on a base outside of Baghdad. When the president of Iraq ( a Kurdish muslim) decided to ouste sunni and shiite muslims from the Army, we could have persuaded him to do otherwise. This in itself would have gone a long ways to stop what is going on over there now.

KenHigg:supposed to be dumb poor farm type southern guys who worked in the fields all day and had necks that were red from the sunburn...

**first of all it is very obvious there are a lot more of those so-called 'dumb farmers' that are a lot smarter than you. Yes, it is a US Farmer who's long hours in the sun gives him or her a 'red-neck'. Guess you are a "Nuts and Honey ' person. Get rid of the farmers and that is what you will be eating.

BugDog: Nowdays it's mostly driven by US national election politics. Whatever one side does (Democrat/Republican , Liberal/Conservative) the other side tries to make political hay out of it. So the policies develope around political position and may or may not have any bearing on the situation at hand.

** Almost there BugDog but not quite. When our present leader was running for office, he stated that his agenda was to change the US's way of life. To-date, he has done so and is still tilting the bucket even further. He was born of an American Woman but had a sunni muslim father. By the Koran, he is sunni muslim. It does not matter what religion the mother had, only the father. Of course, the Liberals mostly Democrats now, want enough power to have a perpetual democrat government. This leads to the Isolationism you are now seeing. As I stated many times before, be careful what you ask for?

ColinEssex: I was referring to the original illegal 2003 war started by GWB to a) finish his daddies failure and b) to secure long term oil and rebuilding contracts for his cronies for which he received massive backhanders.

**Pitiful Colin. The truth is that the intelligence community convinced the congress and Senate that Sadam had weapons of mass destruction. Rem. he had already invaded another country, Kuwait. In, addition, most of Europe was in on it including your UK.

Did you not see the documentary Fahrenheit 9/11? It shows how totally corrupt the USA administration is, whoever is in charge, at the moment it is not Obama, it is the senate and congress.

**Fahrenheit 9/11 was produced by Micheal Moore, a multi-millionaire; Al Gore, a multi-millionaire, the Vice President who lost the election even though the fix was in and was trying to get back at Pres. Bush with this movie .. Oh, yeah, he also invented the internet. Colin, you quote far left LIberals, many of the ones who have by hook or crook convinced a lot of people they are going to die next year because of global warming. I can tell you about one global warming scenario and that is Thermonuclear war. NOTHING WILL BE LEFT

Brianwarnock:As I read it the rebels in both cases are of a different religious sect to the "government" , the roots of the problem in these countries as in many parts of Africa is back in the days of European empires when artificial country boundaries were drawn and the native people's were not allowed to develop naturally.

**Yes the government actually threw them out of the Armies and Government. BUT, the biggest problem is that all of them are Muslim extremist. You see the Koran, the muslim religion is not just a religion but a government, social control and then religion. As I have told you many times, it is composed of three different books about Mohammed not about God. He was a politician, conquerer and prophet. I think you had better at least read it to find out what they have in store for your UK and the rest of Europe.You have no protection against them because they will have the guns and your government will protect you. Besides, according to the news reports, we know what they do to prisoners, Execute them one way or the other.

**Your scenario does not hold up, since what these extremist want is to bring the world to its knees. They will invade other countries until someone stops them. As in Africa, they will not let them develop naturally.(i.e. the present numerous African Wars)

**By the way, Russia is still helping Syria, Iran and will make any deal to get at the oil fields in the middle east.What happens when Russian gets their hands on that oil. What happens when they (Terrorist) invade Saudi Arabia, Jordan? Russia has already turned off the Ukraine Natural Gas which will effect you by Dec. of this year. Who is going to pay the 1.5x bil. ransom or how much land are you going to let him consume to cover the 1.5 bil ransom.

p.s. If you can get Fox News over there, better watch it. At least they tell you what is going on while the other networks give a little or no news on anything outside your country..That is how it is here in the US at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom