An Idea to Get Back to Decent Parenting? (1 Viewer)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:51
Things are so different now. When I was 5-6 we were expected to behave in public or we would first get a very serious look, then we would be told to "wait in the car". Also, when we went out for dinner we were expected to order from a menu without any shenanigans, or else off to the car and you hoped you didn't get whacked for general purposes when everyone got back. :D

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Things are so different now. When I was 5-6 we were expected to behave in public or we would first get a very serious look, then we would be told to "wait in the car". Also, when we went out for dinner we were expected to order from a menu without any shenanigans, or else off to the car and you hoped you didn't get whacked for general purposes when everyone got back. :D
they took you to restaurants? :ROFLMAO:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:51
But, if they can't afford children then they shouldn't have them, it's quite simple.

However, we have the religious whack-jobs in the USA who don't want us to teach sex education, then don't want to allow abortions (even early on), and don't want to allow the use of birth control methods either. In fact, these religiously insane people would be happy if they could teach everyone how dirty sex is. To which my response is usually, "If it ain't dirty, you ain't doing it right."

But seriously, the message of the Religious Right is SO wrong in a world of limited resources. And then there is the implied condemnation to full-on poverty by causing people to be limited in how much money they can make when one of the adults cannot be an income earner.

I fully agree that we should not bring unwanted kids into the world. But let's get rid of the impediments that would help us prevent that from happening.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:51
they took you to restaurants?

Actually, my parents "civilized" me by taking me to family restaurants and teaching me table manners. By the time I was in junior high, my report card was my key to going out to a restaurant as a reward for good grades. Which probably accounts for TWO things about me now as an adult. (1) My weight is higher than it should be and (2) My wife and I go out to restaurants more often than some folks might in our age group.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
However, we have the religious whack-jobs in the USA who don't want us to teach sex education, then don't want to allow abortions (even early on), and don't want to allow the use of birth control methods either. In fact, these religiously insane people would be happy if they could teach everyone how dirty sex is. To which my response is usually, "If it ain't dirty, you ain't doing it right."

But seriously, the message of the Religious Right is SO wrong in a world of limited resources. And then there is the implied condemnation to full-on poverty by causing people to be limited in how much money they can make when one of the adults cannot be an income earner.

I fully agree that we should not bring unwanted kids into the world. But let's get rid of the impediments that would help us prevent that from happening.

I don't completely disagree with you, it's a valid point - putting people into a position to have zero control over the timing and size of their family is a bad thing.

However:

1) That's kind of out dated. Mostly everyone on the religious right is quite fine with birth control - and that's really all that's needed.
I'm a card carrying member of the religious right, and nobody I know, nor ANY CHURCH that I have EVER been to - while trying dozens of churches in each of the approximately 8 states I've lived in have EVER said ANYTHING about birth control being wrong. Like, literally ... Not even once. So...you're fighting against a non existent cliché from a long time ago.

2) MARRIAGE. It works, people - stop trying to fight it. Real marriage, remember? Pick one spouse and live a lifetime with them. Two people running a family is what it takes.

You show me 100 scenarios where a person has children they can't afford and I'll show you at least 90 where the truth is, it wasn't just "having children". It's the structure, consistency and capacity of the leadership of their family, which mostly had to do with generating babies outside of the lifetime marriage paradigm.

The funny thing is people still trying to fight this, but even TODAY's data shows how much more successful and productive the 2 parent households are. They can keep trying to fight it, that's their choice, or they can just do it the way that works.

Yeah, it requires a little discipline and character to start you off with, but is pretty rewarding actually.

The more suffering I see in this world, the clearer it becomes to me (even more than when I was younger) that having normal, nuclear families with long term marriage commitments would solve many of the current problems we face. But the data pretty much backs it up, too.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
The Pope put his stamp of approval on the pro-abortion catholic Joe Biden, it doesn't get any more diverse than that. :oops:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
The Pope put his stamp of approval on the pro-abortion catholic Joe Biden, it doesn't get any more diverse than that. :oops:
Yeah well, Catholics are kind of a little bit of a different story perhaps. But then again the degree of Catholicism in the United States is a drop in the bucket compared to the new influence in the last 40 years of non denominational churches or things that are close to it.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 03:51
In the UK at least, if you have a child, you get various financial benefits and help from the government. Most of this money goes on fags and booze for mum. If you have difficulty feeding the family, the do gooders step in and give you free food. So the point being, there is no incentive to think logically about family planning because the state will bail you out for free. Maybe maternity leave and benefits should be cut to curb this free ride if you have kids.
There are plenty of girls / women in the UK willing to drop their knickers after a few drinks with no thought to the consequences.

Col

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Well.... first we need to get a new generation of decent parents.
Agreed.
Kind of hard though, since it's chicken & the egg!
All we can do is start with the kids, unless you can come up with a way to change the adults!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom