Annnnd, I will walk 500 miles.... (1 Viewer)

RCheesley

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:08
As you may or may not know, I work for NHS Suffolk at the moment and we've just launched Healthy Ambitions - as part of this there is a challenge for the staff to walk 500 miles individually, collectively in a team of 5, or as a department/directorate!

We were all given a pedometer as part of the launch, so we're using this to measure how many "steps" we take!

We start the challenge on Thursday, and I'm hoping to use this as part of the preparation for my 200 mile yomp this coming summer (see my signature if you've not yet sponsored me!)

So ... will be out yomping as much as possible so my team wins! Anyone want to do a forum-based challenge like this? Might be a giggle and get us out and about!

Ruth x

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 00:08
I had to laugh when I saw the title of this thread, I haven't heard that song in ages.

Our Mayor is doing something similar for our city. I've signed up but of course I haven't contributed yet. So hard to find time. Although, if I got a pedometer and wore it around while at work the miles would probably add up. Our new building is pretty large (takes up one city block) so it's a hike sometimes just getting to the restroom, much less to the cafeteria or the parking garage which are connected by tunnels and walkways but are quite a hike.

RCheesley

Registered User.
Local time
We're starting our challenge at work today .... Should be fun! You say you can't find time but I just leave mine on the waistband all day every day, you'd be suprised how quickly it adds up! Then I find myself doing extra things like walking from the car rather than taking the bus, to increase my total!

Sounds like a massive building .... makes mine seem teeny tiny ... I can see the other end of the office from where I sit!

Ruth x

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
I see Mayor Taylor hasn't done any miles yet, is she sat still?:confused::D

RCheesley

Registered User.
Local time
According to my screen, Mayor Taylor: 39.45!

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Some cheat obviously updated it over night:mad::D

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Pedometers only measure steps not distances, oh I know you are supposed to calibrate them so that it converts steps to distances but that presupposes normal length steps , bet you take loads of small ones in the work place.

Testing a ped against a GPS showed the ped to be more than optimitic on anything but flat road walking.

Brian

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Pedometers only measure steps not distances, oh I know you are supposed to calibrate them so that it converts steps to distances but that presupposes normal length steps , bet you take loads of small ones in the work place.

Testing a ped against a GPS showed the ped to be more than optimitic on anything but flat road walking.

Brian

I've looked at the GPS ones but I don't have that kind of change to plunk down at the moment. :(

RCheesley

Registered User.
Local time
Working in a building of geeks, we have a funky spreadsheet which converts our steps into distance taking into account whatever factors you have to account for, then averages it out based on the number of people in the team and so forth.

Seems to be working pretty well, people are getting very competitive!

Ruth

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
I'm thinking for now I'm going to invest in a good-quality pedometer since I can't afford a GPS one. Even if it just measures steps, I can still set goals about how many I want to try to reach in a day, etc.

I have no one I work with though that I can really get to do it with me. :(

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
A pedometer is probably the best option for setting goals at work when you are moving around in a tight area, but it is pointless to try and translate it to miles. Just aim for so many steps , the first few days will give a reasonable guide.

Brian

RCheesley

Registered User.
Local time
Well we could start our own league table here ya know ;) I'm sure someone could knock up a fancy database!

Ruth

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Perhaps the women here could just do their normal tour of the shops. They'll soon notch up 500 miles - and get some new shoes in the process.

Col

RCheesley

Registered User.
Local time
Very true, I'm off xmas shopping tomorrow, hoping to clock up a few miles!

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Very true, I'm off xmas shopping tomorrow, hoping to clock up a few miles!
You've missed the fantastic bargains a Woolies, that were never really there to start with, and the queues of course;)

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
i know this is old, but why not nip over to Newmarket and join Dunwoody's walk

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom