ANSI 89 and ANSI 92, Am I the Only One that did not know this? (1 Viewer)

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 09:06
So I was helping the OP on this thread

I was creating a Like "*text*" query and nothing would return. Every time I typed the query I look in the QDE and the word like magically changed to Alike. In 20 years of playing with Access I had never seen this. I thought the DB was corrupted. I was like WTF. So I googled and came across this
And then read on MS
I get it now, but I did not know access supported two ANSI standards.
I do not do a lot of work with sql backend, so my question is if SQL Server is 92 do you still set up the Access front end as 89? I am just surprised I had never seen this.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 08:06
at the same time you were playing with his DB Maj, I was also helping out. and I did run across the same thing. I don't even think HE understands what is going on. and based on many conversations with him at this point, I'm not sure he's going to understand your solution either. but I'm hoping so...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I was aware that Access supported ANSI 92 standards because of having to select that for a back-end situation. But it has been so long that it isn't something I think about much any more. Out of sight, out of mind, so to speak.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:06
I knew it but never had the need to put Access into the ANSI 92 mode.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:06
I played around with ANSI92 10 years ago but never really got into the swing of it. There are some potential benefits around joins (no brackets which is why I was questioning the original sql posted which was not access sql, the use of USING which combines ON with WHERE) But I was never able to find a decent resource to explain exactly what you could and could not do, whether or not there are performance benefits, what other functions exist or don't exist. It may be there is more about now so perhaps worth another look.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Nah, you're not the only one. I have seen it before but I thought it was about a different character set.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'll say this: In the circumstance when I had to look it up, I found the SQL ANSI 92 language standard. Hoo, dogies, talk about rough reading. It gets very abstract very quickly. When you want to look up the standard and really dig in, bring one of those 5-hour stimulants or a gallon of coffee or some No-Doz tablets.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It would be better if the Access team updated the ANSI-SQL standard for Access. Then it would make sense to upgrade so that your Jet/ACE and SQL queries could use the same SQL. As it stands, I leave the SQL version alone. It doesn't help me to use ANSI-92 and just breaks all existing queries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom