Anybody used Access app with "Remote Access" software like Team Viewer (1 Viewer)

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:58
Hi folks

Has anybody used an Access app with "Remote Access" software like "Team Viewer" or "Go To My PC" and if so, what was the experience like?

Thanks for taking an interest in this post.

Bob

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I've used Teamviewer many times. Also in the past used LogMeIn.
Both absolutely fine though I use telephone for voice rather than conference call connection as that was problematic

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Hi Bob

With Teamviewer, you are just running the remote PC, though. Are you thinking of something else?

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
I've developed an app for my client to use on his desktop PC. The client would now like to use the app on his laptop when away from the office. I thought that using Remote Access software might facilitate that.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
TeamViewer and other similar apps rely on someone starting a session on the host PC which the remote user logs into.
For the purpose you describe I think your client will need MS Terminal Services or Citrix

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Colin,
Teamviewer can run as a service and you can just connect using the known credentials.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If he leaves his PC on at work, then he can use TeamViewer to connect to the PC, and run the database on the PC.

He can't run the database on the laptiop, and connect the laptop to the data on the PC/Servers at the place of business.

(mayber he can, based on what Gasman just said ... It might not work very fast though. )

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks. I stand corrected. Havent used it for a while as I’m currently only on mobile internet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
(mayber he can, based on what Gasman just said ... It might not work very fast though. )

No I don't believe so, can just use it as remote access.
The service just means you can always connect from afar, whereas someone could forget to start teamviewer before leaving.?

marlan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:58
Hi,

My friend and colleague offers his Acc2003 product in a Windows server using Remote Desk-Top, serving dozens of clients. After making sure you have enough CPU and web connectivity, it works just fine

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:58
I use TeamViewer between Desktop, laptop, and my phone. Can run access on all 3 although its a little difficult, but do-able, from phone.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:58
Just to complicate things here: I use AnyDesk and I'm pretty happy with it. Not perfect but it does have a phone app, copy and paste file transfer between computers, and I find that overall it has good performance.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:58
For the single-user case being described by bob fitz, "remote desktop" access should work OK. Just remember that if multiple users are involved, each needs a separate copy of the FE in order to avoid corruption. ALSO remember to check for the possibility that the remoting software allows a "session reconnection" in case the remote connection drops. Otherwise you will have a hung process and the only way to close the DB will be via Task Manager, which isn't generally kind to Access. Can ALSO lead to corruption.

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Thank you all for your comments and guidance. Teamviewer seem to fulfil the requirement. Just need to figure out how to print something that is on the desktop office machine on the printer connected to the laptop computer.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Just need to figure out how to print something that is on the desktop office machine on the printer connected to the laptop computer.

IF you can establish an RDP connection then you might be able to establish an FTP session (if you have the ability to run the FTP Daemon on one machine and the FTP client on the other). In which case you could save the object on the desktop to a file that can be downloaded to the laptop. I seriously doubt you could establish the remote laptop's printer as a viable device for direct printing - though that's not impossible if the person using the remote software is the administrator of the desktop.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
In the past, I've printed remote documents to my home computer using Teamviewer as well as with Logmein and with Terminal Services.
None of them required complex configuration. The functionality is built in.

apr pillai

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 21:28
I have used VNC Viewer Software to connect to the remote Computer Desktop when maintenance requests were received from the Users of my Access Application. This is mainly used within LAN/WAN Network and have VNC Server and Client Versions. Our headquarters is in Oman and the maintenance requests were serviced in Dubai from Oman office.

I used to send a message through NET SEND (Windows Network) Command to the remote computer Client MachineID informing the User to shut down the Access Application for maintenance and I will be taking charge of his Machine's Desktop. Once the User gives me a feed back on the same root I can connect directly to his desktop and open the Access Application and make required changes, perform demo runs, as per their requirements.

Last edited:

HiTechCoach

Local time
WARNING: Using teamviewer as describe is NOT Free. It does require a paid license for commercial use. It really works best for remote tech support. Not the best for working for long periods of time or data entry.

FYI: LogMeIn and GoToMyPC both handle remote printing. They are both much better, for remote workers than TeamViewer, which is better for report support than the other two.

I have tried just about every remote access application since about 1987 with DOS and dial-up modems over phone lines.

I still find the free built-in Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) in Windows works the best. In addition, it does remote printing really well now.

NOTE: Windows Desktop OS can be used as a single remote session Terminal Server for free. Since Windows Desktop is a single user license, you can only have one session running, either local or remote, but not both.
To set up remote access to your desktop PC:

On the computer you want to remote access, you turn on Remote Desktop connection. Next you have to add port forwarding in the rout for 3389 (the default port) to the PC you want to remote access. You may have to open the port in your firewall also.

That is it. No software to install. It is all free. All that takes less than 5 minutes to configure.

You use the WAN IP for your host PC to connect over the internet from any device running an RDP client, like Windows XP and later.

Microsoft even has a free RDP client for Android and probably apple too. I use it on my Android tablet to access my desktop.

It really is simple and free!

If for some reason you are not allowed to set up port forwarding in your router, then services like LogMeIn, GoToMyPC, CloudBerry Remote Assistant, TeamViewer and others handle the port forwarding issue on their servers.

I have been using the free built-in Remote Desktop Connection regularly sine 2000..

I probably work 99% of my time on a desktop PC working via a Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) session.

I have nothing against TeamViewer. I actually have purchased commercial licenses for work to use for remote management and support for client's servers and desktops. I even run TeamViewer in a RDP session.

Bonus TIP for remote support:
CloudBerry Remote Assistant
Free remote access and control over the Internet

It is really giving TeamViewer some serious competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom