Anyway to access Back End on Windows 10 Password protected folder (1 Viewer)

bignose2

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:37
Windows 10 1803

Hi,

I mostly want my PC password protected but would like a networked front end to link to just one folder/file without password.

Everything I try either has full password requirements or not at all,
even the public folder seems to work under the same all or nothing which seems a bit pointless.

Any ideas
thanks I/A

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:37
I see no takers on this one. Let me take at least a shot.

First, remember that when you access a folder on a computer, you access every folder above it in the path including the drive's root folder. Therefore, when setting up permissions, you need at least the "PassThru" permission on all folders above the folder where your files exist. This "PassThru" ideally should be set up for every person you expect to use this folder.

Second, your description makes it seem as though you do not have a server involved as the host for the back end. This complicates matters because without a Domain Controller in your network, it might be hard if not impossible to create a group identifier that would be the easiest way to do this. Therefore, to be honest I am not surprised that the Windows 10 security system is kvetching about password requirements.

Here is the ultimate issue. If your computer is secured by password, then you have to get into your Win 10 and identify the account names that will be allowed to touch your computer via network sharing (from Control Panel / Users AND Control Panel / Network Setup / Sharing Options). This also implies that the users will probably need to log in to their own machines so that you can get an account name passed to you through the network. I believe if you enter the other users' names on the target system and have set up the folders correctly, they will be able to touch the folder. But you will have to add each user individually to the permissions list of all folders in question.

Obviously, to do this mechanically, you must get to a folder and right-click to get the properties. Then click "Properties" for the dialog box. Then select the Security tab. In the top section, you will see a list of names that already have some level of access to your folders. SYSTEM will be one. Your username will be one. MS always has a couple of other designations that have access as well. It is possible that you would have USERS as an entry in that list. Despite the apparent ease of giving USERS access to your folder, this is a TERRIBLE idea because the USERS account isn't limited to "Authenticated Users." It includes Joe Schmuckatelli trying to hack your system via the network.

As you click on the username in the top half of the security pane of that dialog box, the bottom half will change to show the list of the broad-brush permissions. If you click the Advanced button, you would see over 20 detailed permissions. "PassThru" is in the advanced list but is part of the general READ permission list as well. You also get options to propagate the permissions lower (i.e. assert inheritance to sub-directories automatically.)

This somewhat depends on how deep in the path structure your files are located. Basically, the closer to the root, the better - but it is NOT good to put the files IN the drive's root folder.

For access, if this file in question is the back end, then you need MODIFY permissions on the folder in which it resides and on all files in that folder that your users could ever touch. And a few they could touch that you might not have expected.

For the folders ABOVE target folder (but not for the target folder itself), you need to either manually enter Advanced mode on the folders so you can set PassThru for each user you want to add with that permission, or you can take the easy way out and just give broad-brush READ access to each user.

If you actually have a domain controller in the mix, there are other, far better ways to approach this, but we need to know the actual file and network configuration to offer any more detailed help.

Dreamweaver

Local time
Today, 12:37
Thanks the _doc_man very interesting read thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom