Append Query is not working (1 Viewer)

devillawyer

Local time
Today, 11:32
Hello All,

I am working on request management database. There is 6 types of request, hence each type is stored in different table. In each type of request there are several data points like Drafter, Capacity Drafter which repeats in each request type. I would like to pull out only those 2 data points form each table and include in Table Request Totals (Table contains fields named as the above). I believe the best way to do so it to run append query. However, when I am trying to run it, nothing happens.

Below SQL code:
INSERT INTO [Request Totals] ( Drafter, [Capacity Drafter], Drafter, [Capacity Drafter] )
SELECT [BAA Requests List].Drafter, [BAA Requests List].[Capacity Drafter], [NDA Requests List].Drafter, [NDA Requests List].[Capacity Drafter]
FROM [BAA Requests List], [NDA Requests List];

This query should append only new request. When I am trying to run it, nothing happens. Not even message that ´you are about to append x records´ nor any error.

I am new to Access and I am self learner so I would much apricate your support. Please let me know if I can explain anything further to help you understand the issue.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 10:32
Not sure what this is for?
[NDA Requests List];
Wouldn't there be a join somewhere?

Use just a select query to make sure you get data, then change to an append query

Edit: All types of request would normally be in ONE table with a field to identify which type?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 05:32
Lots of red flags. I really think you should shelve this issue for a bit and focus on your tables. My gut tells me you haven't structured your tables properly.

There is 6 types of request, hence each type is stored in different table.

Red Flag 1 - Most likely you need a [RequestType] field that holds 6 different values instead of 6 different tables.

I would like to pull out only those 2 data points form each table and include in Table Request Totals

Red Flag 2 -Data shouldn't be moved around in a database. Instead when you want data together and you want to total data, you build a SELECT query to do so and reference that query.

Can you post either your tables in an access database? Or complete the Relationship Tool, expand all tables so we can see their fields and post a screenshot of it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom