Australia's greatest rugby team (1 Viewer)

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:15
This may well morph into a world's best, but I'll start with what I know

1. Ewen McKenzie
2. Phil Kearns
3. Tony Daly
(there are others that would qualify, but these 3 as unit ruled)
4. John Eales
5. Rob Hemming (before lifting was allowed, one of the great jumpers)
6. Greg Davis (yes, born a Kiwi, but we'll take him)
7. Willie O
8. Mark Loane
9. Ken Catchpole
10. Mark Ella
11. Tim Horan
12. Jason Little
13. David Campese
14. ??????????????? (here I struggle, I can't decide the other winger)
15. Roger Gould

Feel free to add your country or contradictions

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 21:15
Never heard of any of those people. I couldn't even name one English player.

Don't like rugby anyway - it's boring.

Col

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
As opposed to football, where a 0-0 draw, extra time and a penalty shoot out is considered 'entertaining'???????

Kiwiman

Local time
Howzit

I always liked Brendan Moon when growing up, but can't remember if he was left or right wing - but was a pretty good finisher.

I would pick Matt Burke at 15 though.

You have some of your numbers mixed up re 11,12 and 13.

12 - Tim Horan - the best I've seen in that position from any country
13 - Jason Little
11 - Campo

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Howzit

I always liked Brendan Moon when growing up, but can't remember if he was left or right wing - but was a pretty good finisher.

I would pick Matt Burke at 15 though.

Yep, Brendan will do for me - Matt Burke or Roger Gould - tough choice & you wouldn't be wrong no matter which way you went - Gould could kick for kilometers!, that swayed me

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
As opposed to football, where a 0-0 draw, extra time and a penalty shoot out is considered 'entertaining'???????

Actually, there is a fair bit of tongue in cheek about this:

Brasil - 1970
Brasil - 1982
Holland - 1974
Holland - Euro 2008 (how the hell didn't they win?)

Never seen more 10 minute highlights of Brasil 70, so can't comment, but largely regarded as the greatest ever

Watched all of Brasil 82 (New Zealand played them) - to me, the pinacle

Holland 74, 1st taste of football (Australia made it!) too young to appreciate what I was watching, but knew enough that I wanted them to beat Germany!

Hooland '08, better than the previous? don't know, other than it restored my faith in football

Kiwiman

Local time
Howzit

I never took muh notice of football until I got over to the UK - but once you are here, it is hard not to. I really like the game now, and have even managed to get to a few of the bigger games - quite an atmosphere.

When you are talking about the pinnacle - you're talking about the kiwi team right? Quite a feat for us to make it, wonder if we'll manage to do it again some day.

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Howzit

When you are talking about the pinnacle - you're talking about the kiwi team right? Quite a feat for us to make it, wonder if we'll manage to do it again some day.

Well, not quite - I was living in NZ at the time, great days. It was a great acheivement to make it. If FIFA took Oceania seriously you might be a chance, but the way it is now, extremely difficult. You need continuous, competitive matches.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Who takes Oceania seriously. Anything south of the equator is regarded as a joke.

Col

I was sure that Brazil and Argentina are south of the equator, still what does anybody born and raised in Bristol know about football, and choosing to live in Essex know about geography.

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I was sure that Brazil and Argentina are south of the equator, still what does anybody born and raised in Bristol know about football, and choosing to live in Essex know about geography.

Brian

So who won the Premier league then?. . . . . . . . . . . . . Hmmm, not Liverpool - yet another failure - a bit like calling it the "City of Culture".

I wasn't aware that you could use "culture" and "Liverpool" in the same breath. Judging by last year's failure, neither was anybody else.

Is there any culture north of the M4 corridor? During my very brief visits there I haven't spotted any.

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I wasn't aware that you could use "culture" and "Liverpool" in the same breath. Judging by last year's failure, neither was anybody else.Is there any culture north of the M4 corridor? During my very brief visits there I haven't spotted any.

Col

Care to elaborate on the bold bit?

I notice that you switch between attacking Liverpool and the North in general depending on the subject, a bit like all of your arguments.

For our non english readers Liverpool and Manchester United, both in the Norrth West, have both been Champions of England 18 times, I doubt that all of the clubs South of the M4 added together total 18 championships, Bristol's clubs? never but then you do have to be in the top division first. :D

Only Liverpool (5 times) and Man u (3) have won the European Championship.

Look foreward to you explanation of the bold bit Col

Brian

Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I may be wrong but Liverpool was supposed to be the City of Culture 2008?

Apart from seeing Ringo Starr on the news arriving from his Monacco home, I can't recall seeing anything else about it. The PR dept. certainly didn't venture too far south.

As for the footy - I think Liverpool is certainly worthy of the premiership title, I'm sorry the arrogant Man U got it again this year. Our fave Liverpool player is Gerrard.

You are quite correct, Bristol clubs are shite.

Is there culture in the North? Sell it to me - why should I venture into the darkness of rows of terraced houses, whippets and flat caps.

I lived in Leicester for 2 years - felt like I was an ethnic minority, it's like living in India, I was the wrong colour. I also went for an interview once in Grimsby, hated it, it smelt of rotting fish - I turned down the job they offered.

Col

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 13:15
Care to elaborate on the bold bit?

I notice that you switch between attacking Liverpool and the North in general depending on the subject, a bit like all of your arguments.

For our non english readers Liverpool and Manchester United, both in the Norrth West, have both been Champions of England 18 times, I doubt that all of the clubs South of the M4 added together total 18 championships, Bristol's clubs? never but then you do have to be in the top division first. :D

Only Liverpool (5 times) and Man u (3) have won the European Championship.

Look foreward to you explanation of the bold bit Col

Brian

Or Villa and Forest?

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Its OK Brian - they are not exctly Southern , your side of the M4 aren't they?

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Who takes Oceania seriously. Anything south of the equator is regarded as a joke.

Col
I find it especially comic watching the attemps of Southern Hemisphere teams like Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay who have all won the World Cup at least twice. :rolleyes:

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Well, not quite - I was living in NZ at the time, great days. It was a great acheivement to make it. If FIFA took Oceania seriously you might be a chance, but the way it is now, extremely difficult. You need continuous, competitive matches.

Perhaps they too could move to Asia to get an easier qualification? For that matter why don't we?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I may be wrong but Liverpool was supposed to be the City of Culture 2008?

Apart from seeing Ringo Starr on the news arriving from his Monacco home, I can't recall seeing anything else about it. The PR dept. certainly didn't venture too far south.

I cannot comment on the PR or advertising of the events outside Liverpool but apparently all of the hotels were full, the events fully booked, and the museums and art galleries, of which we have several, well attended, however I can well believe that we did not advertise in the SE of England as we appreciate how narrow minded, ie so narrow as to be closed, most of the people living in that area are.

Is there culture in the North? Sell it to me - why should I venture into the darkness of rows of terraced houses, whippets and flat caps.
Culture is in the eye and ear of the beholder, opera is crap, ballet is crap, jazz is great etc.
I suppose there are cobbled streets , flat caps and whippets, I just cannot recall when I last saw any.

I lived in Leicester for 2 years - felt like I was an ethnic minority, it's like living in India, I was the wrong colour.

Leicester was in the midlands last time I looked.

I also went for an interview once in Grimsby, hated it, it smelt of rotting fish - I turned down the job they offered

It is an old fishing port, what did you expect.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom