auto-trim / auto-crop a picture & screenshot (1 Viewer)

razaqad

Raza
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:49
we use access database for printing lab reports. and a small graph is also printed on this report from another software(not an access application).

what i have done is that first we print the txt report from access and then use the same paper to print graph on it. I have alligned the report in such a way that these two reports fit perfectly.

we have to print twice and sometimes the graph is deleted in the other application, so we have to make the graph again.

what i want to do is:
1) prepare graph in the other application.
2) take a screenshot of it.
3) save this as an image file (jpg or bmp)
4) reference this picture in the access application and print it with the report.

So the problems are:
1) when i take a screenshot, how do i save it as a file,
2) how do i just get the area of the graph and remove all extra space. (usually all the other space is white as background)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:49
1) when i take a screenshot, how do i save it as a file,

Take your screenshot. Open something like WORD or PAINT. Tell the program to build a new file (of its appropriate type). Type CTRL/V or use the Edit >> Paste function of your chosen utility. Save the file.

2) how do i just get the area of the graph and remove all extra space. (usually all the other space is white as background)

Before you save the image (see answer above), use the tools appropriate to the chosen program. WORD has a picture editor function that includes the CROP option. PAINT allows you to select a rectangular part of the entire image and save that to a file separately from the entire file. That is also the equivalent of a CROP function.

If you don't want a crop rectangle, stay away from crop circles. They attract too much attention. ;)

razaqad

Raza
Local time
i want this process to be automated .... is there a vb routine or function that can auto crop or trim the image.

and what is the print quality of a screenshot ?

uncle-lai

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:49
Here is another way, use Imaging that comes with Windows 2000 (Don't know if it's availble in Windows XP):

After pressing Print Screen open Imaging (inside Programs - Accessories).
File - New : to open a new file.
Edit - Paste : say yes to expand the file size to accept the full screen image.

Imaging does not provide a Cropping tool, so there is a work-arround:
After pasting the whole image is "Selected", press Esc to cancel Select.
Then Select again with the mouse and Copy the selected area.
Open a New file again and paste the Copied image to the new file. (You don't need to save the "Untitled" picture when you are prompt). Save the new file. Then you can link your report to this file.

The resolution of the Print-screen image is the resolution of your display.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Last edited:

razaqad

Raza
Local time
Whats the quality of a print taken from a screenshot. The resolution of screen is 1027x768. how good is the print?

razaqad

Raza
Local time
what i have done is that i have installed a virtual printer driver that prints the graph to image file, without loosing quality. Then I crop the extra spaces.

but there is another problem. when i paste that picture in access report or open that picture in any image viewer the picture is too large. It is due to the high reolution of the image. Now what shold i do to make the picture(graph) of normal size without any quality loss.

razaqad

Raza
Local time
i solved the problem myself:

i just resized the image in the report and it all works fine

thanks for help

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom