automatic updating of software (1 Viewer)

conception_native_0123

Local time
Today, 00:20
I thought maybe we could start a discussion about this whole thing, because it has become so prevalent in everyday life. The thing that set this thread off was today's update of firefox. Now I've got a grey title bar, block-type tabs and a grey background in ALL other bars! While this IS quite annoying, I'm really interested to hear WHY these things happen. My guess is that it is nothing more than updating the entire world based on what the majority wants. Would I be correct in that assumption? thanks all. see below for the updates that came today, which I find to be similar to Steve Jobs' changing of the rainbow-oriented apple to the silver-based apple. Doesn't it look like that?

1.jpg

2.jpg

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 22:20
It's been a while now, several years, since I surrended to Chrome's taking over the world, and just ... started using it exclusively. (in personal life).

It manages all my passwords beautifully, it manages numerous other "form filling" situations (name, addresses, which I can edit or store)--and it's very good at recognizing those scenarios on a webpage, unlike other browsers), it stores any payment information that I wish it to, it synchs with devices anywhere I am in the world, complete with 100% of my settings and personalizations, and it (obviously) it tightly integrated with all other things Google, thus it tends to work well with all Androids (i.e. Google), as well as all Google products (Photos sharing, Docs sharing and probably 100 other products I don't even know about yet). If privacy is an issue, Chrome does have the Incognito mode. I never use it, though - I want Chrome to know who I am.

On top of all that, Google seems to have extremely sophisticated ways of knowing when a suspicious login is taking place. Despite many of my passwords having been compromised over the years (like anyone) - Yet, my Google account has never been hacked to my knowledge. They have JUST the right balance of making it easy enough for ME to log in, but hard for anyone else.

Having your browser history at your fingertips no matter what device you are or where you are is ... priceless, and very convenient.

Remind me - why do people still use Firefox and other browsers? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm sure there are good reasons ... What are they to you? I think @Steve R. does alot with it too, so am curious.

Is the primary reason that's left to use non-Chromium browsers essentially just privacy & anonymity concerns?

conception_native_0123

Local time
Is the primary reason that's left to use non-Chromium browsers essentially just privacy & anonymity concerns?
there really IS no reason. but I can find all of the files that go into it very easily and manipulate them if I want to. that's the reason why I like firefox. but it DOES crash a lot. and that is a disappointment. here is the dir structure that I see and that is easy to manipulate:

1.jpg

what is the big deal with chromium, anyway? is chromium the basis for a lot of other things? I think I have heard about that. is that working a lot like frameworks? the BASIS for everything? so you are saying that firefox does NOT operate based on the chromium model, right?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I'm not very knowledgeable in this topic, so I'm afraid I can't speak very well on it. My understanding was that the only two browsers based on chromium was Chrome and Edge, but I could be wrong about that there may be others. I guess it's kind of like a browser operating system? Maybe you could say a framework. I know that Chrome relies a lot on xml files.. it loves xml, and that's how it's able to load all of your settings so incredibly fast.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Maybe you could say a framework. I know that Chrome relies a lot on xml files.. it loves xml, and that's how it's able to load all of your settings so incredibly fast
are you saying that XML is faster than js when it comes to putting in settings? according to this page:

the chromium model is used for a great many things. even app frameworks. so it seems that what I mentioned might be correct regarding that. here's another page that could be of some interest:

Umpire

Local time
I have no clue about the programming issue but the primary reason I use Firefox on my home PC is that I don't want to surrender to all things Google. I don't travel and when I do I have my laptop. I do not need to log into a browser and have it be the same no matter where I am. To the best of my knowledge, I have not had a password hacked in over 10 years. And I do not let web sites remember them for me either.

I can see where some people need the convenience of logging in anywhere. My wife is a teacher and she uses Chrome at home because the school does. So she can work on school stuff at home.

My personal Laptop is far from top of the line. and Firefox just runs better on it than Chrome. Not sure of why. It just does.

Just my 2 cents.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
That makes sense - thanks for the perspective. I guess just not wanting to 'give' Google everything is a legit and common reason.

(I've discovered that even though I don't travel a lot, I seem to be 'helping' everyone in the family by doing things on their machines, where signing into my accounts there is helpful - but I can see for some people that just isn't much of a factor maybe)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I use Firefox because (a) I've never had it crash on me and (b) from what I have seen on-line, it tends to be more secure than Edge. Since Edge is based on the Chromium standard, Chrome will be similar. IE is no longer with us so that's not an option. There is "Iron Browser" which is touted as being much more secure than Chrome.

If you look at the Mozilla study you find that FireFox is rated higher than six other browsers, though IE has been officially retired so can no longer take part in "current" comparisons.

conception_native_0123

Local time
There is "Iron Browser" which is touted as being much more secure than Chrome
I think I know why, doc man. a lot of software that comes out of european countries is ALL about stopping the tracking and usage statistics. according to google, that's what SRware is all about. do you not think? I know a lot of europeans and asians, for that matter, that are in love with TOR and everything like it because they don't wanna be tracked.

1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom