automatically populating tables (1 Viewer)

D

debbiebarton

how do I populate a table with records from another table but with the primary key from a further table, eg, I have a student table, a keyskills table (with numerous rows) and a KS achieved table which will hold the studentID and the records from the keyskills tables. Because of the volume of the students and the keyskills I do not want to have to key them in manually, is there a way to do it automatically? Initially I want to do it for all students in database, then only for new students. Any help would be very much appreciated

C

CrazyJay

Your probably best using vb to do this. What you need to is create a recordset of the table which you want to transfer which is probably the students one and another recordset of the info your adding to it if needed.

Use a for... next loop to step thru the recordset and use either a SQL statement to insert whatever details you need or create another recordset and write the info to it.

D

debbiebarton

Many thanks for your reply. Can you recommend any good books for this sort of thing. I have never written code within Access before and the majority of books I have seen do not cover this.

Fornatian

Dim Person
Local time
Today, 14:08
Use an append query if you can sa Rich suggested, it much less hassle than doing it in code.

BukHix

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:08
While I agree with Rich and Fornatian about the benefit of an append query, if you were in a situation where you have to do it in code. This thread covers the topic and should get you started.

Topic: Using RecordSet to update table?

The ever increasingly inaccurately named UBB Board List for PC Support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom