AWF is Responsible for the Cancel Culture! (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:57
I have just responded to a thread where one of our newest members an 86 year old gentleman from Kent mentioned one of our Trolls.

I realised that the forum, the internet, has a default method of dealing with people that it don't like, you ban them!

I thought hold on a minute, is that what's happened? Has this intolerance spread into real life? Has become the "Cancel Culture" where somebody that you don't like, someone you don't agree with, then you effectively ban them by cancelling them?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 05:57
I know you're just stirring it, but I'll bite anyway...

There are standards. There are tolerances. The tolerance "bandwidth " here at AWF is EXTREMELY wide.

Where else can a known "felon" re-entet under an alias, reveal his true identity, exhibit the same behavior that banned him, yet still be allowed to remain?

Now knock it off before you yourself are banned - I have friends at court, sir....

Who am I kidding...you would just come back with a new username....maybe Auntie Gertude.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Auntie Gertude.

I have seriously considered identifying as female and coming out as "Auntie Gizmo" but it doesn't have the right ring to it!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:57
AWF is not responsible for the Cancel culture. To quote Billy Joel, "We didn't start the fire." We merely adopted a part of it.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I know you're just stirring it,

Well I generally hope to provoke some thought on various aspects of the world and science.

One of the psychological theories (and I have no idea as to the validity of it) is that people who have been on mobile devices constantly from an early age have identified with the persona they project through the mobile device.

This taking up of an internet/mobile persona whatever you want to call it the digital persona? This pretend persona can manifest as "transgender" for example. It is thought (in this theory) that it could be behind the increase in the transgender movement.

So I thought if this is true and people are being moulded by their online personas, then it follows that an online action like banning someone could transpose to the real-world as as "Cancel Culture"

conception_native_0123

Local time
Today, 04:57
So I thought if this is true and people are being moulded by their online personas, then it follows that an online action like banning someone could transpose to the real-world as as "Cancel Culture"
yes, i think you are right in that online personas are beccoming the norm, but banning someone virtually and banishing someone from real life are 2 different things, don't ya think?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
someone from real life are 2 different things, don't ya think?
Well yes of course they are two different things! That's the whole point, somebody is a real person with an online persona. They are a real person, and an online persona at the same time. I mean looking at you "PERSONALLY", it's pretty obvious your online persona is nothing like your real self, because if your real Self behaved the way YOU behave on the forums, one of your friends or relatives would have killed you by now....

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I'm offended
Everybody knows that Access World Forums is a "safe space". :LOL:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 02:57
I have just responded to a thread where one of our newest members an 86 year old gentleman from Kent mentioned one of our Trolls.

I realised that the forum, the internet, has a default method of dealing with people that it don't like, you ban them!

I thought hold on a minute, is that what's happened? Has this intolerance spread into real life? Has become the "Cancel Culture" where somebody that you don't like, someone you don't agree with, then you effectively ban them by cancelling them?

To me it is different. When/if AWF bans someone, (my understanding is), it's not because they held a particular viewpoint or position. It's because of outright, position-agnostic abuse or generally causing trouble.

My impression of cancel culture is more about specifically cancelling people who are refusing to adopt "last week's latest-and-greatest" left-wing terms, definitions, taboos and beliefs.

For example: Let's say that this Wednesday, the liberals make up a new definition. 2+2 no longer equals 4, it equals 5 instead. Now everyone must stand up and affirm, "2+2=5". If anyone dares to say "No, it still equals 4", then they are cancelled.

Usually, conservatives (who see no good reason to change the standards and definitions that have worked for 1000's of years) are usually on the 'cancelled' side, but it can theoretically happen to anyone.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I agree @Isaac, we only cancel spammers here or occasionally those being persistently abusive or threatening. In "physical" society, people still get sent to jail, detained and so on, but that isn't cancel culture, although there might be some overlap (political prisoners anybody?). To me, cancel culture is about oppressing those with different political or moral beliefs to your own.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:57
Cancel culture is about disagreeing with the accepted "norm". Sometimes, accidentally, when you were 9, you might have said or done something that is out of fashion today and given that in the age of technology, you can't actually destroy all copies of everything, your egregious faux pas pops up and gets you cancelled. That is really over the top but that is the way Cancel Culture works. You are never forgiven unless you are someone they actually like and you grovel. But even groveling won't always work. Best to hold your head up (along with your middle finger) and not grovel. At least you can retain your dignity.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 02:57
"Stay afraid enough to comply with whatever we say" = Not the America we wanted, or had.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Everybody is deemed innocent until they are caught, like black-face Trudeau. Then the grovelling starts. Yet they are all guilty at outset. It is not about whether you are guilty or not, but whether you can hide it from others before your past exposes you.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The omni-present policeman will give you complete forgiveness in any case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom