Barcode Label issues (1 Viewer)

kevnaff

Local time
Today, 10:22
I work in a hospital and have a list of departments within my database. Each department is designated an ID number that increments with every new record. For example WARD 1A is given the number 1. Ward 1B is given the number 2. And so on.

I then have a text box in my form that is linked to the numbers, which uses a Barcode Font, to display a Barcode Label.

However my barcode scanner does not recognise the numbers. This issue has occurred in the past, and the workaround was to place an asterisk before and after the number. So Ward 1A would now be *1*. Ward 1B would be *2*.

Is there a way to run an update query on the table so that the asterisk will be placed before and after the department ID automatically?

Also is there a way to have the department's ID number automatically apply the asterisk before and after the ID number?

I also have another group of data that may require this update in the future, so it would be great to have a workaround for this.

Thanks

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:22
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

I'd say leave the data alone and just add the asterisks to the displayed value. For example,
Code:
"*" & [DeptID] & "*"

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I agree. Keep the actual data unchanged but display it differently if needed.
Or try a different barcode font
In any case, your next barcode scanner may behave differently

kevnaff

Local time
That's great, thanks both for your help.

I have taken over the database from a retired member of staff. He wrote some VBA code to remove any asterisks from any scanned values, so having the asterisks in the barcode is a quick workaround for now.

I have now a textbox displaying the DepartID and then another text box with the control source =

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom