Barcode Scanning (1 Viewer)

MarkH

Local time
Today, 05:59
Hi,

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong area,

Ive been asked to look at barcode scanners for the warehouse, im not sure where to start at the moment. Ive looked at some and the software they come with but we dont need the full blown version they provide. We would like to use our database which has all the data, im not sure if we will need this scanners with display on but all we will need is to scan is parts, orders and employees whos scanned the parts etc.

I just need pointing in the right direction of what i would need, how the data would be transfered to the database and how it would be able tell which was being scanned, the parts, jobs or the emploee.

Thanks for any help

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:59
There's some info here:

http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/barcode.htm

Generally speaking, the input from a scanner is like keyboard input. In your Access application you put focus on a textbox, scan, and handle the input in the update events. I've got several Wasp scanners (some wired some wireless) in use and haven't had any problems with them. I haven't used their software, so can't comment on any they may offer.

MarkH

Local time
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply, ill check that link and let you know how i get on.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No problem, and welcome to the site by the way.

MarkH

Local time
Hi Paul,

Sorry for not getting back to you, bought a small usb scanner to see how we get on, we are still very new to the setup on this, just a few questions if you dont mind.

Whats the standard setup in a small warehouse? would it to be wireless so the data is live or docking stations, at the moment we are trying to work out the best options for us. our database is sql and access, we can write our program to work with the usb scanner but obviously dont know the options like selecting the employee, part or the order or if theres a mistake, how to delete, enter more than 1 quantity etc

with the more sophisticated barcode scanners (symbol PDT 6100 is 1) can these be programmed with our software. im just trying to find out the basic setup that ppl normally go for.
thanks for your time and help, youve been a great help so far.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I've only done it at our parts/service facility, so I won't pretend to know what's "standard". I'm self-taught, so I tend to re-invent the wheel a lot. :eek:

I worked mainly with wired and docked wireless scanners. The wireless ones were used when the user wasn't close enough to where pallets were being dropped. He goes over, scans a part number, comes back to his desk and fills out the quantity, price, etc. It's a situation where he's close enough to go back and forth, but far enough that they didn't want a corded scanner.

I did set up a Symbol unit to be able to work sort of independently. My kludge workaround was to have it log into a terminal server via wireless network, and run a small program on that. That program lets them wander through the warehouse updating inventory. They scan a part, the program tells them how many are supposed to be there, they can input a different number and the program will adjust inventory.

I'm sure there are more professional ways to program the Symbol unit, but that works for what we needed done. I tend to move on once I find a working solution, because there always seems to be another crisis I need to work on. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom