Barcodes (1 Viewer)

JPFred

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:23
I ordered a bar code scanner to play around with scanning barcodes into a ms access database. Does anyone have any code examples to link the scanner to the database to do immediate and/or batch scanning?

I am going to take the Christmas break to see if I can make it work.

Thanks in advance,

Doc

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:23
Hi. There should be no code needed. Access should treat the barcode scanner just like any other input device like the mouse or the keyboard.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:23
The barcode scanner should work perfectly straight out of the box, just don't mess around with the set-up codes.

Set your cursor in any text box on any form and point the barcode scanner at a barcode, pull the trigger and the information from the barcode will appear in the text box, just as if you typed it in with the keyboard. In fact, that's how the barcode scanner works it duplicates the functionality of the keyboard.

JPFred

Registered User.
Local time
That sounds GREAT! I will get the scanner on the 21st and give it a try. Thanks!

JPFred

Registered User.
Local time
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Just an update ... I did get the scanner in and it seems to work just fine. As you mentioned when I pull the trigger while on a text box the information is automatically entered. I went one step further and downloaded a free barcode font that gives me the ability to create and print out barcodes. Is there a font out there for the qr codes? I have been looking but have not found one yet.

Supper big thanks to all of you for your help!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:23
You probably want to avoid using QR codes with MS Access, see my comments on it on my website here:-

With regard to generating QR codes in MS Access, there have been several threads in access world forums about it, I particularly recall this long thread, the QR code discussion started Here:-

I don't think it is possible yet, not without some sort of web interface. As I say on my website it's probably not the way to go, QR codes are for storing a lot of information, probably overkill with in MS Access.

Last edited:

JPFred

Registered User.
Local time
You probably want to avoid using QR codes with MS Access, see my comments on it on my website here:-

With regard to generating QR codes in MS Access, there have been several threads in access world forums about it, I particularly recall this long thread, the QR code discussion started Here:-

I don't think it is possible yet, not without some sort of web interface. As I say on my website it's probably not the way to go, QR codes are for storing a lot of information, probably overkill with in MS Access.
Thanks for the input. For what I am doing I think you're right. A standard bar code will capture all I need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom