Best / Worst Advice (1 Viewer)

FluffyKitten

Jumble Bunny
Local time
Today, 16:13
I was sent this from a friend and i remember my granny talking about some of this, it was headed Advice for employing women in 1943:

Eleven Tips on Getting More Efficiency Out of Women Employees: There's no longer any question whether transit companies should hire women for jobs formerly held by men. The draft and manpower shortage has settled that point. The important things now are to select the most efficient women available and how to use them to the best advantage.

Here are eleven helpful tips on the subject from Western Properties:

1. Pick young married women. They usually have more of a sense of responsibility than their unmarried sisters, they're less likely to be flirtatious, they need the work or they wouldn't be doing it, they still have the pep and interest to work hard and to deal with the public efficiently.

2. When you have to use older women, try to get ones who have worked outside the home at some time in their lives. Older women who have never contacted the public have a hard time adapting themselves and are inclined to be cantankerous and fussy. It's always well to impress upon older women the importance of friendliness and courtesy.

3. General experience indicates that "husky" girls - those who are just a little on the heavy side - are more even tempered and efficient than their underweight sisters.

4. Retain a physician to give each woman you hire a special physical examination - one covering female conditions. This step not only protects the property against the possibilities of lawsuit, but reveals whether the employee-to-be has any female weaknesses which would make her mentally or physically unfit for the job.

5. Stress at the outset the importance of time the fact that a minute or two lost here and there makes serious inroads on schedules. Until this point is gotten across, service is likely to be slowed up.

6. Give the female employee a definite day-long schedule of duties so that they'll keep busy without bothering the management for instructions every few minutes. Numerous properties say that women make excellent workers when they have their jobs cut out for them, but that they lack initiative in finding work themselves.

7. Whenever possible, let the inside employee change from one job to another at some time during the day. Women are inclined to be less nervous and happier with change.

8. Give every girl an adequate number of rest periods during the day. You have to make some allowances for feminine psychology. A girl has more confidence and is more efficient if she can keep her hair tidied, apply fresh lipstick and wash her hands several times a day.

9. Be tactful when issuing instructions or in making criticisms. Women are often sensitive; they can't shrug off harsh words the way men do. Never ridicule a woman - it breaks her spirit and cuts off her efficiency.

10. Be reasonably considerate about using strong language around women. Even though a girl's husband or father may swear vociferously, she'll grow to dislike a place of business where she hears too much of this.

11. Get enough size variety in operator's uniforms so that each girl can have a proper fit. This point can't be stressed too much in keeping women happy.​

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:13
My Grandpa Gave me great advice about business once.
"Always wear nice shoes"
but women don't care about shoes do they?....*smirk*

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I was sent this from a friend and i remember my granny talking about some of this, it was headed Advice for employing women in 1943:

Eleven Tips on Getting More Efficiency Out of Women Employees: There's no longer any question whether transit companies should hire women for jobs formerly held by men. The draft and manpower shortage has settled that point. The important things now are to select the most efficient women available and how to use them to the best advantage.

Here are eleven helpful tips on the subject from Western Properties:

1. Pick young married women. They usually have more of a sense of responsibility than their unmarried sisters, they're less likely to be flirtatious, they need the work or they wouldn't be doing it, they still have the pep and interest to work hard and to deal with the public efficiently.

2. When you have to use older women, try to get ones who have worked outside the home at some time in their lives. Older women who have never contacted the public have a hard time adapting themselves and are inclined to be cantankerous and fussy. It's always well to impress upon older women the importance of friendliness and courtesy.

3. General experience indicates that "husky" girls - those who are just a little on the heavy side - are more even tempered and efficient than their underweight sisters.

4. Retain a physician to give each woman you hire a special physical examination - one covering female conditions. This step not only protects the property against the possibilities of lawsuit, but reveals whether the employee-to-be has any female weaknesses which would make her mentally or physically unfit for the job.

5. Stress at the outset the importance of time the fact that a minute or two lost here and there makes serious inroads on schedules. Until this point is gotten across, service is likely to be slowed up.

6. Give the female employee a definite day-long schedule of duties so that they'll keep busy without bothering the management for instructions every few minutes. Numerous properties say that women make excellent workers when they have their jobs cut out for them, but that they lack initiative in finding work themselves.

7. Whenever possible, let the inside employee change from one job to another at some time during the day. Women are inclined to be less nervous and happier with change.

8. Give every girl an adequate number of rest periods during the day. You have to make some allowances for feminine psychology. A girl has more confidence and is more efficient if she can keep her hair tidied, apply fresh lipstick and wash her hands several times a day.

9. Be tactful when issuing instructions or in making criticisms. Women are often sensitive; they can't shrug off harsh words the way men do. Never ridicule a woman - it breaks her spirit and cuts off her efficiency.

10. Be reasonably considerate about using strong language around women. Even though a girl's husband or father may swear vociferously, she'll grow to dislike a place of business where she hears too much of this.

11. Get enough size variety in operator's uniforms so that each girl can have a proper fit. This point can't be stressed too much in keeping women happy.​

Wow, that's actually true too... http://www.snopes.com/language/document/hiringwomen.asp

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 10:13
the latter are too interested in the attention that they get from their curvy figures. if they're not careful, they could end up being fired over loving the attention

mdemarte

Computer Wizard
Local time
LOL! Re - Eleven tips.

Best advice - Was a card that I got with my diploma @ HS Graduation. Turns out it was the last 4 lines of a poem (I just Google it) called "Stepping Stones" by Mary Brooks Picken. Below is the entire poem:

Isn't it strange that Princes and Kings
And clowns that caper in sawdust rings,
And just plain folks like you and me,
Are builders for Eternity?
To each is given a bag of tools,
A shapeless mass and a book of rules,
And each must make ere life is flown,
A stumbling block, or a stepping stone.

Second best advice - Learned the HARD way from my stepfather:

Take the time to do the job right the FIRST time.

Worst advice: Just say yes. ;-)

bulrush

Registered User.
Local time
Advice my great-grandfather passed down, about finding the right woman:
- Get a woman that will be loyal in marriage.
- Get a woman that can cook well.
- Get a woman who is fun in bed.

Make sure these 3 women never meet each other!

Adam Caramon

Local time
Best Advice: Don't have kids until you're financially secure. I know a lot of my friends have hit rough patches in their relationships due to having kids in a hurry.

Worst Advice: Rent? Why would you throw your money away? Buy a home. They increase in value every year.

To put the worst advice into perspective, it was told to me in early 2005 right before the housing crisis hit. I purchased my home at what was nearly its peak value and it has since dropped a good 20-25%.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
1. Pick young married women.
Well where can I pick up one of these so that I may train her?:confused:

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Well where can I pick up one of these so that I may train her?:confused:
Given the bigamy laws perhaps you should look for an unmarried young lady. :D

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
Best Advice: Don't have kids until you're financially secure. I know a lot of my friends have hit rough patches in their relationships due to having kids in a hurry.

I don't know about this. We had our 4 children when we were quite young. Youngest moved out 4 years ago. I am now 53 years old. Whenever I am around my grandchildren, I cannot imagine trying to keep up with them full time at this age. :D :D

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
I don't know about this. We had our 4 children when we were quite young. Youngest moved out 4 years ago. I am now 53 years old. Whenever I am around my grandchildren, I cannot imagine trying to keep up with them full time at this age. :D :D

Grandchildren are the greatest! :D If only we could cut out the middle man :rolleyes:

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 08:13
I do not make the rules in my household - I just post the guidelines to follow...

Big Pat

Registered User.
Local time
Worst Advice: Rent? Why would you throw your money away? Buy a home. They increase in value every year.

To put the worst advice into perspective, it was told to me in early 2005 right before the housing crisis hit. I purchased my home at what was nearly its peak value and it has since dropped a good 20-25%.

Hang in there. And do the maths again in about ten years.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time

I imagine that it feels rough to you, but take heart in the fact that housing markets are cyclical.

I bought my house in 1995 for $135K (US), and by 2002 it was appraised (for mortgage purposes) at $285K. More recently, similar homes have sold for in the area of $195K-215K.

That means the value of my house is down about 25-30% from the high, but still up about 50-60% compared to when I bought it

statsman

Local time
Buy land...they're not making any more of it - Will Rogers

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Best advice - which my uncle gave to me, and which I passed along to my grandson:

"Find out what you like to do first. THEN examine it to find ways to make a living off of it.

With the understanding that legality and safety are still valid issues no matter HOW much you like _____"

Since we had already had a "birds & bees" discussion, I advised him to avoid the sex trade because of legalities and because of what ELSE you might trade when you trade sex.

Worst advice: "Try the seafood lasagna! It's very tasty."

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Best advice ever given to me by my dad:

It's OK to be a young fool, because you're young and will hopefully learn from it.

But don't be a young fool who becomes an old fool.

That's something I always try to remember, there's nothing that annoys me more than old fools, and I really hope I don't turn into one myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom