Best/Worst President (1 Viewer)

CharlesWilliams

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:28
This question might start a fire storm but here goes...

In your opinion who was/is the best and worst president?

the_net_2.0

Banned
Local time
Today, 01:28
Charles,

I'm curious, but why are you asking this? I think maybe a better question would be "what is the best presidency".

I'll bet you $100 dollars that the first person who responds to this is going to say something to the effect of "it depends on how you define the best". What do you say to that bet? :)

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:28
Charles de Gaulle :D

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
Yesterday, 23:28
Restricting my answer to those I have personal memories of, I would have to say the best would be a tossup between John F Kennedy and Ronald Reagan, the worst by far would be Cowboy George Bush II.

jamesmor

Registered User.
Local time
Best: We've had a good one?

Worst: George Bush II

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Best: One of the founding ones?

Worst: Ol' Georgie Dubya.

the_net_2.0

Banned
Local time
Best: One of the founding ones?

Worst: Ol' Georgie Dubya.

Are you sure about that? Every day i see more and more of those bumper stickers mocking Obama. You know ... the ones that GWB created that say "missin me yet?". "hows that change thing workin out for you?".

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
To those I can remember something about:
Well the best Pres. Regan. for many different reasons.
Worst, I would have say Carter.
LBJ sure didn't handle Vietnam very good and Nixon did have to resign, but overall, I would say Carter.

the_net_2.0

Banned
Local time
I can't even remember how much inflation soared while Carter was in office. He was absolutely horrible. I'll second FoFa's motion.

Vassago

Local time
Are you sure about that? Every day i see more and more of those bumper stickers mocking Obama. You know ... the ones that GWB created that say "missin me yet?". "hows that change thing workin out for you?".

Yes, absolutely sure. The global recession was caused by him and his administration. Those stickers are nothing more than a cheap attempt at deflecting blame to the current administration for an economy that will take longer than one term to turn around completely.

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
Yes, absolutely sure. The global recession was caused by him and his administration. Those stickers are nothing more than a cheap attempt at deflecting blame to the current administration for an economy that will take longer than one term to turn around completely.

Actually there is a rather large body of facts that point to the Reagan years as the root of the recession, especially the efforts at deregulation of banks and financial institutes. These continued to accelerate through following administrations. But G.W.'s administration was unprecedented in this area and coupled with the dual war toppled us over the edge.

the_net_2.0

Banned
Local time
Yes, absolutely sure. The global recession was caused by him and his administration.
Nothing is 100% certain Vassago. But then again, that's IMO like everyone else.

I can create a legitimate rebuttal to that simply by asking 'what about all the presidents before GWB that pushed and pushed capitalism and made the American public believe they could become greedy without an repercussions?'.

Let us not forget that people are, in general, ignorant. If you lead them down the primrose path, they expect to reach primrose at some point. Bad metaphor, I know but I'm sure you get the point.

-Tell them 'silently' that they can do whatever they want and get away with it...they will.

Vassago

Local time
What was the national debt before Bush became President? What was it after?

statsman

Local time
The best president was probably George Washington. He was aware he was the prototype and tried very hard to leave a legacy suitable for the position.

Most historians agree that James Buchanan (the one who preceded Lincoln) was the worst. His refusal and/or inability to act on the subject of slavery was one of the main reasons the Civil War occured when it did.

Of course we haven't had time for a truly historical reflection on "W" yet.

the_net_2.0

Banned
Local time
What was the national debt before Bush became President? What was it after?

I'm confused. Where does that fit into this discussion? And furthermore, why do people even care? It's a concern because it's gotten completely blown out of proportion.

It's the government's issue, let them deal with it.

Vassago

Local time
I'm confused. Where does that fit into this discussion? And furthermore, why do people even care? It's a concern because it's gotten completely blown out of proportion.

It's the government's issue, let them deal with it.

It's a concern because it plays a factor in the economy exactly for that reason, because people care. We had the greatest push in a long time during Clinton's administration, only to fall lower than ever during Bush's. Yet, here we have Republicans again calling foul over Obama's tax policies, which are identical to Clinton's, yet it's already worked once, why couldn't it work again?

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
I think George W. sucked the most for having waged aggressive war in Iraq, and I think there is no greater crime than waging aggressive war. I think the world was a better place being able to rely, for the most part, on an America that would 'do the right thing.'

Demetious

Registered User.
Local time
Yet, here we have Republicans again calling foul over Obama's tax policies, which are identical to Clinton's, yet it's already worked once, why couldn't it work again?

Many would argue that Clinton had nothing to do with tax policies "working", and that what we saw was due to Reagan. Much like the arguement that Clinton was responsible year later for deregulation of mortage companies Fannie and Freddie which started our journey here (today).

This is an interesting article from www.house.gov (Economics Committee)

http://www.house.gov/jec/growth/taxpol/taxpol.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom