Best/Worst President (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 22:37
Just for information, the banned user the_net_2.0 (who contributed many posts to this thread) was yet another username adopted by Adam Evanovitch after Adam Trumpet and later vba_php.

Despite having many suitable candidates to choose from, I would have no difficulty choosing the worst US president there has been in my lifetime.
Conversely, I have some difficulty coming up with any names for best US president in my lifetime.

However, I'll drop out of this thread again now rather than get into further futile discussions with any choices I might make.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:37
I would not say Trump is the worst president we ever had. But he SURELY is the most controversial in the last 100+ years.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 14:37
Just for "sh*ts & giggles", I was curious if any other American feels like when it comes to bashing, as a whole AWF crowd we mostly just bash America's problems. This forum has plenty of Brits, which has plenty of problems of its own. I remember when Mr. Boris was on the news DAILY for his ultra controversial actions, including all kinds of parliamentarian acts which were considered by many to be illegal. Not to mention the whole Brexit fiasco and of course the never-ending, tabloid-like ridiculous drama involving royals (and even it's funny that they exist). And Mr. Boris rivals Trump for the "crazy hair" aspect. (Ok that last part was just me being childish - but it's true).

I've noticed one thing in life. The USA is the world's favorite country to hate. And I have the grace to assume that many people have their reasons for it, some of which are legitimate. Our nation has its hand in a lot of things, with some attitude to spare - so I'm not asserting that all of the incoming ire is necessarily unfounded. However, it would be intellectually dishonest to overlook the fact that successful, prosperous things/people/nations tend to be everybody's favorite thing to hate. It's human nature to be jealous...and nothing is more common than disguising jealously with feigned loathing. I've even noticed that in myself plenty of times throughout life. In this last statement, I tend to be thinking of a certain America-basher that I only hear from on AWF once in a great while - and am quite OK with that. In many people's cases, the bashing may come from a genuine place of dismay over actual ills that the US perpetuates or contains....but in his particular case, the bitterness and jealously shine brightly through.

Anyway, I am mostly just curious why we only bash the USA. We Americans seem to act like we are fine with that, maybe we are just too used to it, or maybe because we are "above" the tactic of turning the conversation outward, which would be easily enough done if so inclined. More of a rhetoric musing here, I suppose.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:37
I think in certain circles, bashing of certain countries takes a very serious turn. Iran, for example, is a very dangerous country in world politics. Even the UAE has had enough and broke with their hard-line stance to normalize relations with Israel. But that Middle Eastern group has these nasty little things called a fatwa that they use if they decide they don't like you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom