BIG problem! (1 Viewer)

JPFred

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:24
This issue is not programming related.

My hard drive on my laptop is dying and I need to make a image (bootable) of my main Windows 10 hard drive (SSHD). I only have on hard drive slot on my computer and was thinking I could make a complete (bootable) image of the main drive along with all user data (programs, pictures, data). I have been having a problem trying to figure out a solution. I have seen several company's that seem to offer a solution to handle the job.

My question is what is a good program that will take care of my problem? The process I need to do is to create the image to a 1 terabyte USB drive then take out my hard drive that is going bad and boot from my USB drive. Finally I need to duplicate the image of the USB drive to the new 1 terabyte SSHD hard drive.

Help!
Doc

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
AOMEI has a free backup utility.

I use a USB 3.0 port on my laptop and USB to SATA cable connected to an SSD.

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 23:24
Why a third party application? Windows comes with this utility. I've been using it for a long time and never had a single problem in creating the image or restoring my PC from an image.

Launch control panel, type File History in search textbox, and open file history. At the left bottom side of the panel, you have a link that says System Image Backup.
Click this link and at the left side of the dialogue box that opens, select Create a system Image.
Just follow the wizard and select the drive you want to create the image on.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Does the system image include all installed software?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 22:24
All softwares are Now Capable of Cloning Exact copy of your system.
it's just a matter of which one can you afford.

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 23:24
Yes, the image includes all installed software, their options and any other personalized settings.
With each new version of Windows, I normally clean install windows, install all applications I need, change their settings as I wish, and create an image (using windows native utility) and keep it on a separate disk.

Any time I wish, I can use the image and go back to where I was.
I like playing with viruses. I install malwares and viruses on my PC and try to see how they work and how I can get ride of them. Any time I fail, I use the image I have and I'm back on my feet with a clean install and everything setup for a fresh start and testing another virus.

Any restore from an image takes 22 to 25 minutes (The image file is 436GB)

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 15:24
I had to look that up :), but yes. So you can restore your computer as it was previously. Not as friendly as ATI, but fortunately I have not had to try the restore option. Then again it is only a one line command.
ATI is good for upsizing to a larger disk. The other products would do it as well.

Simplest (and cheapest) or the O/P would be the Powershell option, ASAP :)

Edit:
My script for backup to my D drive.
Code:
C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -NoExit -Command "& wbAdmin start backup -backupTarget:D: -include:C: -allCritical -quiet"

Youtube demo (not me BTW) :)

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:24
Making System Images in Windows 7-11 is pretty easy see the screenshots below.

1657381487280.png

1657381536808.png

1657381634471.png

Ignore the legacy (windows 7) title it works in windows 7-11. Just plug in your removable drive first so windows can find it, and Bob's your uncle.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Try Googl'ing with "create a system image on a usb drive"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom