Bitcoin's Achilles' Heal (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 07:28
Answer: Electric Power. Seems that China has taken a dislike to Bitcoin and is suppressing the availability of electric power in China for Bitcoin mining.
China's action, while reprehensible, highlights that all technologies have an Achilles' Heal. Examples include the hacking of the Colonial Pipeline, in Texas the windmills froze, in California power shortages are occurring because traditional power sources are being shut-down without adequate replacement.

Nevertheless the actions of China are an ominous precursor of what could happen to any virtual currency (and much of our infrastructure) when the "lights go out".

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I hate to show my ignorance but how exactly does one "mine" for bitcoin? What are the servers looking for? Are there similar operations for other types of cryptocurrency?

conception_native_0123

Local time
Today, 06:28
I hate to show my ignorance but how exactly does one "mine" for bitcoin? What are the servers looking for? Are there similar operations for other types of cryptocurrency?
Bitcoin mining is very complex pat. It involves a lot of static type searching, if that makes sense. There are only a certain number of bitcoins on the market, ever. And I think the mining has to do with not finding them, but rather anticipating the ups and downs if I'm not mistaken.

Don't take my entire word for it though, as I'm not entirely sure because I've only been explained to one time.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 04:28
the way i saw china's move was basically, Great, now bitcoin might be worth mining again, if 75% of the world's miners are going out of business.
of course, they 'claim' they are all just moving to brazil, but i am really not sure that accurately describes what is happening to all of china's miners.

@Pat Hartman there are similar activities for many cryptocurrencies, although each crypto that gets invented, the people always claim it's special because of this-and-that which makes it 'drastically' different (supposedly each one thinks it's going to change the world). Their grand-opening webpages read like the most grandiose statements you've ever heard - worthy of, perhaps, the type of speech warranted by the guy who invented the smartphone, or the microwave. Some of them were invented by notable people, however, like Chia invented by the guy who (supposedly) invented BitTorrent.
In my estimation, about 80% of all crypto's, everyone knows they're going to come to nothing (including their inventors), and isn't bothered by that - like a stock-tip-blog pumping and dumping a stock, the idea is just that the crypto goes from .000001 to .00001, a few people make a million dollars, then it is never seen again. Most people put Safemoon, for example, in that category - although arguably it might have risen above that, but for every Safemoon that might be legit, there are 20 that are just total garbage, they even have a term for them: sh*tcoins. Many people don't realize that there are many thousands of crypto's. 99% of them are garbage. Picking one early which will become successful is like a lottery game, but....IMO, it's worth throwing $25 at many of them, and just waiting 10 years in case it goes from .0000001 to .01 and you make 2.5 mil....(IF you can stomach the knowledge that your $25 is likely going to make 5 people rich in a worthless scheme).

I have seen some pretty interesting ones, like internet computer that claims it's going to replace the internet and make everything faster.

I tried to set up a machine to mine Chia for a while, but it took so long to set up (plotting) (actually I was still in Synching mode, not even plotting yet), that I realized it was useless UNLESS i was going to invest about $1500 in equipment, which I didn't feel like doing. Or rather, my wife did not agree with me investing into such guesswork (don't blame her). Like I said, every crypto has their claim to "this is what makes us drastically different" - Chia caught my eye, as its secret sauce for mining is utilizing bits of harddrive space, RATHER than computing power. I thought since space is cheap this might be feasible, but it was more complex than I thought to set it all up just so...

It was pretty exciting to imagine getting a $3200 reward (2 Chia's) whenever my rig struck gold, but then again, I'm too optimistic sometimes...I also get excited when I buy a $5 scratcher at Safeway. Worse yet, I get excited again when I find out I've won five dollars...........:giggle:

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I still don't get it. What are miners looking for? Where are they looking? Is the procedure different for each type of crypto?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I still don't get it. What are miners looking for? Where are they looking? Is the procedure different for each type of crypto?
it's a little different for different ones, but basically it involves creating a cryptography value that satisfies a lot of requirements, such that you tell the software 'go' and it eats up all your processing power for 2 weeks until it solves the riddle and also just happens to be at the right place in the right time on the network and gets approved to create a new coin.

Chia was different in that, instead of requiring a lot of processing power to 'find and create' this complex new value, it operates more in the space realm compared to the processing realm. The more space it takes up doing it's little thing, the more likely it is to find it.

I have a vague feeling that cryptography and encryption experts will tend to understand how mining works the best - but that is just my understanding and that's about all I know.

Also, many crypto's are set up so that the more people are actively mining for it, the less likely each individual one is to create a crypto - either because of something built into the hash algorithm, or, because the crypto creators set an actual design into the software to explicitly regulate the amount of new coins created per ___, and how much the reward will be.

bitcoin is to the point where you can have a warehouse full of GPU's and still only make a few bitcoins/year at the very best - maybe less.
because all of china got on top of the opportunity as soon as it existed, of course..

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
because all of china got on top of the opportunity as soon as it existed, of course..
All the more reason to steer clear.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time

it's like a black friday macy's doorbuster on $20 boots. unless you have someone in your party who can pick up members of the fray like toothpicks and set them aside to find that size 8 at the bottom of the pile, steer clear. ha! don't know why that memory came back to me, black friday a few years ago.

conception_native_0123

Local time
there were 2 reasons why mining was created)

1) corporate downsizing created the need for a new employment platform to be created, otherwise there would be mass unemployment.
2) technology advancement allowed for it to be created.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
there were 2 reasons why mining was created)

1) corporate downsizing created the need for a new employment platform to be created, otherwise there would be mass unemployment.
2) technology advancement allowed for it to be created.
I'd say it was because this gives the crypto creators
  1. free labor, random people around the world deploy their personal processing efforts to further the growth of the crypto
  2. create a large blockchain network, the larger the safer in most cases
  3. make it deliberately hard and annoying to keep supply low, which they're hoping...and in many cases...is literally the only force that might make the thing worth anything. Tight supply of an otherwise near-useless thing.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Believe it or not, those last comments of mine came from my religious background not my economic thinking background. Go figure

conception_native_0123

Local time
wow, the example of that bitcoin mining operation in china is incredible...you talk about massive amounts of servers?

1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom