Bloody Microsoft... (1 Viewer)

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:21
Any one come across this problem recently?

Latest windows update recommended installing Internet Explorer 7.

Well, why not. Installed, checked it out, big deal.

Went to open a db on a networked computer at home, one that I had been playing with all afternoon, and got this...

Microsoft Access will not open the file due to security reasons as the computer I am accessing is not a trusted source or not part of my intranet.

So now I cant open the Db from my laptop.

Does anyone know how to make my networked computers "Trusted"

Signed

Pssssd Orff

Last edited:

cocoonfx

cocoonfx
Local time
Today, 01:21
hello

yes all the time at work. Its to do with the internet explorer security. If you goto internet explorer Internet Options and then to Security and click on Trust Sites.

You then put the root of your network drive if it is a shared one in here as well as any regular sites you go to.

It only happens to me at work and it is totally ramdom normally its when you send a database via email or download from web.

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
cocoonfx said:
You then put the root of your network drive if it is a shared one in here as well as any regular sites you go to.

Thanks cocoonfx.

How do I find out what the "root of your network drive" is ?

I have a laptop (the one with the issue) and my desktop PC. It has a second HDD which is shared, and mapped as "S Drive" (S for shared, very clever, arn't I)

I use it as a back up drive to store Db's, photos, kids homework and the like. Until now it has worked brilliantly.

My biggest fear is when clients start ringing me with the same issue and I won't have an answer.

Dave

cocoonfx

cocoonfx
Local time
Today, 01:21
So if you goto to the share drive and then
then you would type in the trusted sites:

s:/name of folder/name of subfolder

I will double check this as i don't have my laptop here to confirm, but i will let you know ASAP.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:21
It has been a while since I had to do this, but basically you browse to the place you have your DB. Then (remembering you are network-browsing so you are in I.E., ...) you follow Tools >> Options >> [Security Tab] and select the "Trusted" icon from the list of icons at the top of the horizontal list of security-level icons. This makes a security association of the site currently selected and the security level you click. You might have to use the "Apply" key to make it stick, and ABSOLUTELY close everything with OK to be sure it gets saved correctly.

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
What I have done that seemed to work...

Went to tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Local Intranet, then click on the SITES button. I then deselected the "Automatically detect Intranet Network" option. The 3 sub options remained checked and it all seems OK ????

Is this the right thing to do ? What are the repercussions ?

Dave

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Yesterday, 17:21
same problem
thanks MS
i got round it (no idea ~ think I used the force)
also noticed that internet runs blinking slow - next time MS - on your upgrades ensure that give some enhancement not slow you down

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
After using IE7 for a couple of days, I think our internet is actually quicker. (might be just me)

I like the new interface, one one bugbare is that you HAVE to stipulate a serach engine. Google is the default, but you cant define it like you can the google tool bar. So I thought I would remove it and just use the google toolbar but no, HAVE to have a defined search engine.

So now I have 2 !!

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom