BOM database ideas? (1 Viewer)

Matt Brown

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:11
I really need some input for a design of a BOM style (Bill of Materials) database.
This is my second post to see if anyone can help me or point me in the right direction.

The project: (this first part is not a problem)
What i need to do is create a database where users can input an assembly number, batch qty, batch number on a main form.
In a subform would be a field fo all of the parts used and a field for a c of c number.(c of c number doesnt get fuilled in at this stage).

A little more tricky:
This record then needs to be saved as like a template type file which can be called up anytime by assembly number.
Once the assembly with all of its parts in the subform has been called up, the c of c numbers need to be added to each part and the whole recordset saved so that the template file isnt overwritten.

Can this be done.
At first i thought it was straight forward.But the hard bit came when saving the already created BOM with its subform as a complete new record with the added c of c data to each subform line.

Please can anyone point me in the right direction or give me any ideas on how this can be done.

Matt

Matt Brown

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:11
Thanks for pointing me in a direction.
I have been scouring the web for examples, schemas but didnt find alot.
It almost seems to be a taboo subject.
What i did find was lots of software houses which could design BOM databases at a very high prices but no actual breakdown on the correct way of designing the schema and implementing a bill of materials system.

Matt

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
Today, 13:11
The way that Access operates isn't really condusive to BOM structuring so most don't try to make it fit the application and compared to mainframe applications the development cost is probably very reasonable. I know that a previous employer of mine paid over $100K to have an standalone application developed.

Good luck,
Autoeng

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom