Breaking Access (1 Viewer)

ashleedawg

"Here for a good time"
Local time
Today, 03:44
"Honest, I didn't just spend an hour on this..."

Either I'm a fan of a certain site and a certain show, or else I've been single for waaay too long... or both.

(The zip has all the fixin's in case someone else also has apparent excess time, and a better image editor than mine, MSPaint) :rolleyes:

Attachments

• AWF-BB-Stuff.zip
    909.5 KB · Views: 134

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 06:44
Now that is Breaking Bad!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 06:44
Jon just might be persuaded into using it...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:44
The (long-ago) chemist in me likes it. After all, my "Doc" is a Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry. Over the years, I just strayed from my original studies. What can I say? Life happens.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:44
Funnily enough I was talking to my son earlier about "Breaking Bad" ... I'm writing a science fiction story and I was explaining character arcs to him. I used the example of Heisenberg and Jesse. A character arc is where a person starts off either low and goes high, and possibly low again. The reverse works as well, start off high and then go low and then possibly high again. Heisenberg started off as a well respected member of the community, school teacher, nice house, nice car, well.... and turns into the worst type of person you can imagine. Where as Jesse is the complete opposite, starts off a bad drug taking nobody, to become a relatively good person considering his beginning...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:44
Ah, Tony! Didn't know you had the writer bug.

As I used to explain to people, I wrote government documentation by day and fantasy fiction by night. Hardly any retraining required.

I have a couple of developing sci-fi stories and five fantasies in the can. No publishers so far... but a couple of nice rejection letters.

Just for the record, my 5-book series is sword-and-sorcery genre.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Ah, Tony! Didn't know you had the writer bug.

As I used to explain to people, I wrote government documentation by day and fantasy fiction by night. Hardly any retraining required.

I have a couple of developing sci-fi stories and five fantasies in the can. No publishers so far... but a couple of nice rejection letters.

Just for the record, my 5-book series is sword-and-sorcery genre.

Re:- >>> Hardly any retraining required.<<<

Brilliant!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Ah, Tony! Didn't know you had the writer bug....

I do like the occasional sword play type sci-fi but I'm more into the harder stuff like Isaac Asimov. Although I did really like Anne McCaffrey's Dragons, and I really love anything by Terry Pratchett.

This is like my first chapter it's a bit unpolished...
https://scifi743.blogspot.com/2013/03/falling.html

I've been doing chapter 2 on and off for the past four years. Had a bit of a breakthrough about 6 months ago as I realised how the story had to go... Once I realised this, then it sort of started to write itself. I mean in the sense that I was provided with a black and white outline, like a children's paint By Numbers drawing. The story formed like that. Now my job is to colour in the details...

I recall a Turning Point in my childhood. My sister was given loads of Bessie Bunter and June (I think) comics. I read them all, which alarmed my father! I'm sure he thought I was gay! This was at a time when being gay was illegal. I'm definitely not gay, and I have seven children. Anyway The Turning Point was my favourite Uncle had a word with me.

I recall my favorite uncle asked me what I like reading. I worked it out afterwards, it was because I was reading all these girls magazines, they were trying to find out what had gone wrong with Tony... I said, well, I just like the stories in my sister's magazines, but I really want to read Superman and Batman magazines. Oh! he said, very relieved I recall, you like science fiction? I said whats science fiction?

He explained about the school library and told me there was a section on science fiction where I could take out books. I didn't have to buy a magazines to get my sci-fi fix, I could take them out for free and then take them back. Amazing I thought. I remember asking my uncle what sort of book I should look for? He told me to look for "The Time Machine" by HG Wells. That was the first science fiction book I read. I then moved on to "Currents of Space" by Isaac Asimov and I read everything I could find by Asimov... I read some Philip K dick. The Anne McCarthy's Dragon Song and Dragon Singer series was very good...

There was another author who wrote the book I think was called "I Dream of Electric Sheep" I didn't really get into that though, it was a bit strange to me. Then there was Arthur C Clarke.

My story is about a space elevator which is an idea that Arthur C Clarke covered. I think it was made into a film... I'm not sure what will happen to my story/s - I'm more interested in the writing of it, the writing process, it's such wonderful experience. Mind you if I can sell it for several million pounds then I'm not gonna turn it down!

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Sci-fi story and ChatGPT Update 2024_01_23

I'm posting this, in this thread, a thread where I posted a link to my first chapter five or six years ago! And the story itself is over 10 years old!

I'm no longer going with that chapter idea, I've got a better idea! Anyway just to bring you up to date with my story evolution here's my latest experiences with ChatGPT and an excellent add-in - "Creative Writing Coach"

My sci-fi story is a mishmash of pages, embryonic chapters and ideas spread throughout my Google drive.

It just needs sorting out!

How? It's going to be a slog isn't it!

Then I discovered a chat GPT plugin called "Creative Writing Coach"

Idea! Get "Creative Writing Coach" to read through all my documents and advise me.

But how? Well, the creative writing coach can't access my Google drive but it can read from a PDF document. So I had a chat with ChatGPT and came up with the plan.

Append all of my documents in a folder into one master document, export this as a PDF and then interrogate it with chat gpt's creative writing coach. Chatty wrote me a Google app script to do this in a matter of seconds.

Then I interrogated the document with "Creative Writing Coach'' and it ferreted out characters, plots, story arcs, everything I should have been doing to make it easier to write the story.

Yesterday I was browsing through the newly available add-ins for chatGPT, and I saw one which created mind maps!

I fed the essence of my story into the mind map creating tool and blow me down if it didn't produce an excellent mindmap which I’m finding very useful!

Here is the mind map produced by ChatGPT plugin:- “Diagrams - Show Me”

RylanSciFiAdventure 2024-01-23 005711.png RylanSciFiAdventure 2024-01-23 005711.png

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Here is the mind map produced by ChatGPT plugin:- “Diagrams - Show Me”

The only issue I've got is that it creates a static mind map, an image, and I really want a mindmap I can drag and drop, and add things easily. I'm sure this is available somewhere, it's just working out where, and how to do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom