Bringing Microsoft Access into the Future: Introducing the Microsoft Access Connector for the Microsoft Power Platform (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 20:33
Rather than continue this topic in this thread, I decided to start a new one.

I agree that SharePoint promised most of that Dataverse is touting too - and missed its mark horribly. However this seems different.

Here is a link to a MS Ignite session that you may be interested in.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:33
That's pants, I was really looking forward to the new editor, and the new web browser control, to solve some issues.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi @Minty.
Me too. But don't shoot the messenger...not sure but think that's just reduced my reaction score count by 1.

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
your post prompted me...
I found it on one of my daily Access bookmarks that I check each morning for new content. A vain attempt to make me a better developer.

Oh well, at least I cant claim being bored by perfection...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Positives are +1, negatives are -1. Not sure whether a sad face counted as negative but thanks to Minty for changing it 😁

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Well, I just watched it and to sum it up in one word: underwhelming.

I see no real advantage to Dataverse over SharePoint from what was featured, with the exception of table relationships and possibly referential integrity. I take into considersation that 20 min is not enough time to cover everything but I still didnt see anything that made me excited.

Their "why Dataverse over SQL Server" bit was weak as well.

Interested in what others think...

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
From another Access website, sums it up better than I did:

After some reflection, I thought it best to add the link to the quote: https://www.devhut.net/access-session-at-microsoft-ignite-yes-it-is-true/

I was disappointed with the presentation. For introducing a new feature, I don’t get 17 minutes. You’d think they’d cover more, especially trying to convince us of the benefits it supposedly has to offer.

I have yet to see the benefit over existing Azure SQL hybrid solutions!

You’ll also notice that Microsoft’s solution, right or wrong, has been to migrate away from Access. The presentation promotes more Dataverse, PowerApps, PowerBI, … So take your data out of Access, put it into Dataverse, and then use other tools. This has been possible for several years already through things like Azure SQL.

I’m just not seeing the true benefit, and the presentation hasn’t helped on that front.

Also, mentioning over and over Low code, No code and Access does such a disservice to Access. It is its code that empowers it to go above and beyond just basic tasks. It is actually insulting in my opinion, but it’s all about pushing all those buzz words and hyping other products.

I still would like a true, proper presentation, true pros/cons. Why go this route vs SharePoint, Azure SQL, … File storage just isn’t enough of a reason for my needs. I would have expected a presentation to MVPs to entice us.

There was no mention of costing which is always a huge question!

Also, after watching some Youtube videos on Dataverse, I have other concerns as well.

Last edited:

Cotswold

Local time
The video left me with the impression of not being very impressed at all. All typical Microsoft, telling you everything and nothing at the same time. Not surprised that all datatypes will not be available when issued. So if you have any Long Integers in your data, hang back a while. (Mind you MS have been issuing too early since the days of DOS). Whether the pay-as-you-go or subscription charges shown for this will remain at the level stated we'll have to wait and see.

I do wonder if maybe the days of buying Access once and using it as often as you like are numbered. Behind every announcement and update I'm always suspicious of what Microsoft's real objectives are.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
On the one hand, it's good that Microsoft is responding (somewhat. sort of. on a limited basis) to the fact that there should have been web functionality ages ago to keep Access relevant.

On the other hand, I wonder if there will people who got burnt by Web databases (2010) and Web Apps (2013) who will be wary of trying to embrace another Microsoft attempt to web-enable Access. Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice...

Cotswold

Local time
I'd forgotten about the stuff they Microsoft had the apprentices write, in reply to shadow9449.
Is it really that long ago?
( Italic, strikethro' & in red added after 4:40 on the 9th in clarification etc)

Last edited:

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
I'd forgotten about the stuff they had the apprentices write shadow9449.
Is it really that long ago?

Sorry, I'm having trouble understanding this message. I do see my name in there....

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
From https://nolongerset.com/access-dataverse-connector/:

Access is Not (Just) Low-Code​

The reason I personally find this new feature so uninspiring is that it does nothing for me.

I do not build low-code Access applications. I build high-code Access applications. Believe me, I've considered moving to traditional software development platforms (.NET, Python, Java) over the years, usually after dealing with some unpleasantness in Access. But every time I researched it, I came to the same conclusion:

Microsoft Access is simply the most productive development platform for building desktop line-of-business applications.
The thing I find most frustrating about the new Access features coming out of Redmond is that they always seem to favor the low-code power users, and not the professional Access developers building and maintaining mission-critical business applications all over the world.

And, as far as I can tell, there is no good reason for a professional Access developer to migrate their backend data to Dataverse instead of SQL Azure.

There is simply no better way to summarize this topic.

canyonraven

Local time
Yesterday, 19:33
I've spent a lot of time worrying about how Access applications would survive migration to the cloud, when in fact, operating systems and the software they support seem to live on forever as cloud products. Just ask yourself, do people want and need this software platform. Judging from the traffic on this forum, I think they do.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 17:33
An Access connector for PA sounds cool. Honestly, in my environment, I'm at the mercy of which 'connectors' my corporation will install/make available in our Flows environment(s). They haven't even installed File System connector or SQL Server connector yet! Even without a proper back end, I could make a LOT of use out of a file system connector....., But, I suppose that the security implications of things like network shares, permissions of flow creator, service accounts, is a bit daunting from an I.T. perspective, I have to assume it is.

However, this reminds me a little bit of people who want to create an SSIS package that connects to an Access database.
IMHO, doing that is missing the point, in a way--unless of course, you have zero choice, which I can appreciate it happens sometimes.

I thought that Dataverse sounded pretty good ... it's the whole atmosphere of encouraging serious entity relationships, and is also (I think) the base for creating a model-based Power Apps app, rather than a canvas-based Power Apps app, the former of which enforces typical relational constraints and the latter of which doesn't, and is most often chosen by those who wish to exercise their amateurism/risky apps free will.

But who knows. In my current job, my 2 paths for Power Automate and Power Apps is basically to
1) keep using Sharepoint Online as the back end, which is available to me now, or
2) hope that soon, promised, they will open up SQL Server as a back end to Power Apps.
For some reason I don't think they have the appetite for creating the new, expansive governance processes that Dataverse would require....but who knows.

As many reasons as I could give myself to be unthankful at this job due to odd choices of tools, I have to be thankful: I AM learning some new things, even if they're things I didn't particularly want to learn and may be of little use in the future. I still get some satisfaction!

For example, the other day I successfully ran Access VBA to update a long Sharepoint list including a column which was a multi-valued "choices" field.
After reading a dozen articles that said you couldn't, I decided to just follow Microsoft's general advice for updating MVFs and sure enough, it was not that bad. However, I'd hate to really rely on it, since Sharepoint-with-Access wakes up some mornings and just tells me "no", on something that worked yesterday. This was for an ad-hoc yearly need, and I advised the business partner to temper any promises they made to others regarding this update with my confidence level of approximately 80%. With that, I did my job. ;)

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 17:33
From https://nolongerset.com/access-dataverse-connector/:

There is simply no better way to summarize this topic.

Yes, that's extremely well said.

MS emphasizes the power users. MS also emphasizes those who see Access as a "full" database and FE application, rather than prioritizing those who view it as a FE. They have it backwards but maybe they only care about whatever gets them more licenses, rather than what WE are tasked with caring about: What provides the most appropriate balance of value add with minimal risk to our businesses....

And yes - definitely, it seems very odd to migrate an Access back end to Dataverse rather than MS SQL-anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom