Bulk Email (1 Viewer)

k.robbo

Local time
Today, 15:36
Hi guys

My client wants to send bulk emails (e.g. newsletters) to all their members using Access. Their database stores the email addresses, and I know how to loop through the recordset and create the string containing them. Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of email addresses I can add to the BCC field of an email, or am I better off sending individual emails to each member (there's about 1000 of them)?

Thanks

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 08:36
I doubt you will be able to send all of these at once whether you use To, cc or bcc.
Most email providers impose a limit in the number of messages that can be sent at once.
This is to help limit systems being overloaded by spam emails.

It is for that reason that multi-mailer applications exist such as this one that I have successfully used in the past https://www.samlogic.net/multimailer/multimailer.htm

Good luck and do let us know what solution you come up with

k.robbo

Local time
Today, 15:36
Thanks for the replies. I had a look at the multi mailer and I can't work out how to connect it to the database. Keeps asking me for a username and password and there isn't one. The end client is also not at all tech savvy, so I'm not sure how well it will work.

Any ideas where I could find out the limits on messages that can be sent at once? I can set it to send each message as an individual email, rather than concatenating into the BCC field, but I'm not sure if that will cause even more problems.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:36
Thanks for the replies. I had a look at the multi mailer and I can't work out how to connect it to the database. Keeps asking me for a username and password and there isn't one. The end client is also not at all tech savvy, so I'm not sure how well it will work.

Any ideas where I could find out the limits on messages that can be sent at once? I can set it to send each message as an individual email, rather than concatenating into the BCC field, but I'm not sure if that will cause even more problems.
Hi,

I could be wrong, but I think the limit may be 255 chars for each address line. I think the "spam" restriction is enforced by your email service provider. Whether it's one email with multiple addresses or multiple emails with one address. They should be able to tell you.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 08:36
Agree with @theDBguy. The limit is enforced by your email provider and may differ depending on who you use.
However I don't think there is a 255 character restriction-though that would be easy to test

If you are referring to the multimailer app in my link, it uses its own built in database. I have an old version and haven't used it for several years so don't know whether you can connect it to Access. Suggest you email the developers

If yo want to simplify the process, you could send your emails direct from Access using CDO. However, that won't circumvent any restriction in bulk email

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom