Button backcolor (1 Viewer)

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:12
Is there some trick to this? I'm setting it in Properties but it's ignored.
Help tells me To use the BackColor property, the BackStyle property, if available, must be set to Normal. but there's no Normal for Backstyle.
Am i missing something? I'm using Access 2019

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 17:12
Hi. I see both of them... Which version of Access are you using?

1599354381153.png

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 08:12
backstyle for command button (byte) (see Object Browser , F2 on VBA):

1 (normal)
0 (transparent)

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry, Normal is there. But still Backcolor doesn't change.. Access 2019
Does it work for you - is the change visible in design view ?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Does it work for you - is the change visible in design view ?
Yes, it works for me, and the changes are immediately visible while still in Design View (I wish I can make a video).

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 20:12
Hmm, can you post a screenshot of the Properties window? Oh, and is Transparent set to *No*?

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
I've just had a thought though, is it because it's an mdb file, not accdb ? aa.jpg

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I've just had a thought though, is it because it's an mdb file, not accdb ? View attachment 84800
Ah, that's got to be it. If you look back at the image I posted earlier, you will see a Property just above Back Color, called Use Theme. I think you need that to make the button change colors.

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, and I don't have a Theme!! Ah well, is my backColor just something to fool you (or does it do something?).
I found some instructions for using a label as a button, and that'll do the job.
Thanks..

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Hmm, if you are modifying this database then if other person has to use it it might be a problem. Anything you do in the latest version may not be available in 2003. I'd be very careful.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yes, and I don't have a Theme!! Ah well, is my backColor just something to fool you (or does it do something?).
I found some instructions for using a label as a button, and that'll do the job.
Thanks..
Yeah, you may be stuck with using a label. Sorry.

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks anyway DBGuy, it does the job. BTW I never use accdb, prefer the tried and true! I even still use XP as my main machine.. this one is Win 10 (for the internet) and I hate it!! LOL
GinaWhipp, thanks will take that on board.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 01:12
You really shouldn't still be using MDB files..
As its now 13 years since the ACCDB file format was introduced, it is fair to say that has been well and truly tried and found to be true.
Moreover the reason for the change in file format was to increase security. MDB files are woefully insecure.
Your data can easily be hacked just by opening the file in e.g. Notepad. Password protection is trivial to hack as well.
See http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/compare-access-file-security/4594444323

The same points are also true for the old .xls and .doc formats.

BTW Button back colour was added in A2010.

Last edited:

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Understood, although what I do isn't worth hacking or needs security.. and right or wrong I don't like change.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Understood, although what I do isn't worth hacking or needs security.. and right or wrong I don't like change.
It's not change you should be worried about it's that one day you may not be able to open your database.

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Because of hardware failure, or some Microsoft "fix" ? I have backups and MS don't get anywhere near the offline comp.
But the miiliosn of mdbs around, you think one day they'll just stop working?

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Because of hardware failure, or some Microsoft "fix" ? I have backups and MS don't get anywhere near the offline comp.
But the miiliosn of mdbs around, you think one day they'll just stop working?
I have received MDB's that I need to *un-brick* because it would no longer open in the new version of Access, so, from experience. 99% of the time it's because of a Reference issue or an ActiveX that was used. Not sure about the millions but I have gotten my fair share. You lose nothing by turning it into an ACCDB. You are already working in a new version of Access so why not bring the database up to date? Everything is still there and then some.

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
You've just reminded me, I did change my CD List to accdb. But the one I asked about here is mdb as 2 of us are collaborating on it. Not sure what Access version he has.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
You should check to make sure no issues for him should his version be a lower version.

Edit: Forgot to add... good to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom