Buy someone a coffee (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:00
I've just come up with what I think is a great idea! Let me state first that I am not sure if this is possible, but I'm looking to see if there is a method to allow someone to buy a member a coffee. The idea is, that if a contributor here helps another member, that receiver may want to repay the debt. If they buy them a coffee via PayPal, then it means the contributor will be pumped full of caffeine and help even more people, leading to consuming ever more caffeine and eventually a 24/7 Access World habit. They will have to come here in order to make posts to fund their new caffeine addiction.

And any time they try to leave, they will get withdrawal symptoms and have to come back here!

If you like this idea, Like this post and I will look into it.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Or, does this then make it a mercenary place and people get disgruntled if they gave a lot of help and didn't get their cuppa? A difficult one.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 17:00
I don't drink coffee so I don't care. :p

I would be concerned about the mercenary aspect of it, and there would be people who'd feel slighted if they didn't get the coffee they felt they deserved.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
We have one of those nice but expensive capsule machines, paid for by the firm.
I think I have enough coffee per day probably? ☕🍪

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Yes, that was my concern. At first, I thought it would be great. Sometimes people want to reciprocate. But then you have the issue of, "Hey, they didn't reciprocate enough!"

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I got a nice pricey espresso machine. Cost me like £1200 ($1500) a few years back. I told my friend and he yelled, "£1200 for a cup of coffee??!!" But you don't buy a house and say, "£200K to sleep for the night??" I reckon I might get 3650+ coffees out of it over the next 10 years. He is a 20 a day smoker, and so his money goes up in smoke to the tune of £1200 every 3 to 4 months. Forever!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
It already works here to a minor degree. Several members have bought me a coffee in exchange for one of my free softwares.

I think PayPal offer the option where you can have a button and somebody can make a small contribution to you, and then there's Patron and I'm sure there are loads more vendors? which could be utilised. I think it's a brilliant idea, but it's making it work which is the issue.

Mind you, I was very pleased just today to receive my first love it "like" and I got 30 points I think!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Congrats on your points Uncle!

Maybe rather than shove it in your face by putting a "Buy a coffee" button next to a Like, it could go on someones profile. I don't want it to be where someone helps another person, and they feel disgruntled because they didn't get their coffee fix. Difficult one.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I'm not sure, I think the American "In your face" way is the way to go. I think Brits are a little bit too reserved when it comes to these sort of things.

I sort of propose a little guilt trip because when I issue the coupon code it's sort of suggesting they buy me a coffee:-

And then use the coupon code:- GetALL4Fr33_OrBuyMeA_Coffee

I've got about 20 products now, a couple of, I would say excellent, the rest average and a few, well......

• Haha
Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I could say to anyone who wants me to transfer their Thanks count, buy me a coffee. I could then smash up my coffee machine with a sledgehammer as I would be good for about 10 years.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I could then smash up my coffee machine

No don't smash it up send it to Adrian scotter:-

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
He can blast it to smithereens.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 20:00
Rather then buy an individual member a cuppa or cafe, why not let the widget make a donation to AWF instead? It could help offset the costs and if you could attach a trophy to it somehow then the giver would have something to show for it.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Yes, that is an idea. Mo money, Mo money! I kinda wanted the ability for others to show their appreciation for the help people do here, rather than me coming in and snatching it out of their wallet.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 20:00
There is this one website I have gone to, the Analyst Cave I think it is. Lots of cool stuff there and he has a Buy Me a Cup of Coffee widget. Takes about $3 every time I click it (about three times now). That had better be some GOOD coffee...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I was thinking about $3 too. Not too much to notice, but not too little to not count.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Just to say I have found the technical information about how to implement this "Buy a coffee" thing. But I am still not sure whether it is wise or not. It's not like I want to turn this place into Experts Exchange or something, where answers are funded! Instead, its just for a very occasional add-hock thing.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 17:00
Change it to "Buy me a Dr Pepper" and I'm in! :D

Kidding, I'm still worried about the perception of "answers for cash". Would a charity be a viable option? One or more well-rated charities with world-wide reach.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I'm still worried about the perception of "answers for cash".
I'm worried about that too. So putting a "Buy me a coffee" link next to the Like button might give people guilt trips! Putting it on someones Profile page might get around that completely, what do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom