Calculated field - in query or txtBox control (1 Viewer)

slharman1

Local time
Yesterday, 18:49
Should I get the extended price for a product on an order by creating a calculated field in the query recordset for the form's data, or just do the calculation on the form?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 07:49
best is use query.

slharman1

Local time
I am struggling to understand what makes some of my queries produce un-editable recordsets.

slharman1

Local time
Trying to figure out how to get my main query editable when all of the underlying subforms use queries with calculated fields

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:49
Trying to figure out how to get my main query editable when all of the underlying subforms use queries with calculated fields
Hi
Can you upload a screenshot of your Query showing the Tables & Relationships?

slharman1

Local time
I am trying to remove a calculated field from a table but when I build a query to run the calculation from a related table the main query's recordset becomes un-editable. how do I accomplish this?

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:49
Hi
It would help if you can upload a screenshot of the Query or better still a copy of the database?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In simple terms, a query is editable if every field in the query has some unique place to go when you save it. If it has no unique destination, you cannot edit using the query.

An SQL aggregate cannot be edited because it groups records in a summary and the edit cannot change the whole summary.

An SQL with a calculated field has no place to put the calculation.

Things like that are the basis for non-editable queries.

slharman1

Local time
In simple terms, a query is editable if every field in the query has some unique place to go when you save it. If it has no unique destination, you cannot edit using the query.

An SQL aggregate cannot be edited because it groups records in a summary and the edit cannot change the whole summary.

An SQL with a calculated field has no place to put the calculation.

Things like that are the basis for non-editable queries.
Thanks

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:49
I've always wished for a smarter query engine for Jet/ACE. It always seemed to me that If I created a query to sum a customer's open orders and joined that query to the customer table, that the fields from the customer table should be updateable even though the query was joined to a non-updatable query. But, sadly, MS thinks differently and there you have it. As the others have mentioned, if one part of a query is not updateable, then none of the query is updateable.

slharman1

Local time
I've always wished for a smarter query engine for Jet/ACE. It always seemed to me that If I created a query to sum a customer's open orders and joined that query to the customer table, that the fields from the customer table should be updateable even though the query was joined to a non-updatable query. But, sadly, MS thinks differently and there you have it. As the others have mentioned, if one part of a query is not updateable, then none of the query is updateable.
Thanks for the info Pat

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:49
Putting a calculation in a query is OK except where there might be a complex formula and a lot of records because time delay of data load could be compromised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom