Calculated fields and syntax (1 Viewer)

M Costumes

Local time
Today, 04:38
I'm trying to create several calculated fields (textboxes) in the Report Footer. My report is based on a query. I'm essentially creating an invoice with sums of line items. I'm very new to SQL and all of this, so I think it's something in my syntax, but I can't get some of them to play nice. This is what I have:

Fields in Report Header:
[AdditionalWeeks] textbox
[ATCClean] checkbox
[ReciprocalLoan] checkbox

Fields in Details (all textboxes):
[RentalRate]
[RepairDiscount]
[OtherDiscount]

In the Report footer this is what I have that are working:
txtSubTotal
Code:
=IIf([ReciprocalLoan]=True,0,Sum([RentalRate])-Sum([RepairDiscount]+[OtherDiscount]))
txtCleaningEstimate
Code:
=IIf([ATCClean]=True,Count([InventoryID])*15,0)

These are the other two fields and what I want them to do, but I can't quite get them to play nice:
txtExtraWeekTotal = (the value of [txtSubTotal]*0.2) * the value of [ExtraWeeks]
I can get the first half working
Code:
=IIf([ReciprocalLoan]=True,0,Sum([RentalRate])-Sum([RepairDiscount]+[OtherDiscount])*0.2)
but I'm messing up when I try to add the second part: multiply by the value of [ExtraWeeks]

txtTotalEstimate = all the values that have been calculated added together
txtSubTotal + txtCleaningEstimate + txtExtraWeekTotal
My understanding is that to to do this, I need all the formulas together, I cannot use [textbox]. Which I get, but I'm having trouble getting the syntax correct--I'm getting really confused with parentheses.

Or is there a better way in general of doing this? Ultimately what I want to happen, is the user selects the rental from a form, clicks a button, and the query to generate the report runs & also opens the Report in print preview (so they never see the query table).

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. It's hard to follow what you're trying to describe without being able to see it in action. However, if you're trying to use the result of a previous calculation into a new calculation, try repeating the previous calculation in the new calculation. For example, if you were doing something like:

ItemTotal = Qty * Price

and then later try something like:

GrandTotal = Sum(ItemTotal)

and it doesn't work, try it this way:

GrandTotal = Sum(Qty * Price)

Hope that helps...

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 06:38
...but I'm messing up when I try to add the second part: multiply by the value of [ExtraWeeks]

Think of your post like your report. You listed all these fields in the first half, then in the second half out of no where you mention this field called [ExtraWeeks]. Where'd that come from? Am I or the report suppose to know where that is?

Is that in the Report Header, the Details? Is it even a field in your query?

M Costumes

Local time
Found what I was doing wrong. I was trying to use Sum where it did not need to be used.
What's working for txtExtraWeeksTotal =[txtSubTotal]*0.2*[AdditionalWeeks]
I misunderstood what "Sum" actually means in this application....which I'm not surprised at all, I have trouble remembering when doing basic stuff in Excel too.

Thank you @theDBguy and @plog You two have answered so many of my newbie questions in the last couple weeks, and I really appreciate your insight and patience!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Found what I was doing wrong. I was trying to use Sum where it did not need to be used.
What's working for txtExtraWeeksTotal =[txtSubTotal]*0.2*[AdditionalWeeks]
I misunderstood what "Sum" actually means in this application....which I'm not surprised at all, I have trouble remembering when doing basic stuff in Excel too.

Thank you @theDBguy and @plog You two have answered so many of my newbie questions in the last couple weeks, and I really appreciate your insight and patience!
Hi. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom