Calculated Form field data not store in table (1 Viewer)

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Today, 14:55
you have to capture the updates and apply
the updates happen same time as when the data is altered, so when ever the qty is changed , it automatically reflects.

I have not had issues with financial applications i have developed in ms access(the first been a payroll software in 2003), though we have moved most of our applications to asp.net . c#, and core.

Finally let me mention that normalisation is a good concept ,but came in based on the limitations of the database systems in operations then i.e it was introduced in 1970 by Codd, over the years most of the major dbms,like oracle ,ms sql etc added calculated columns, and most of the banking applications and several other enterprise apps use the calculated column or calculated results to power the bank balances, loan balances etc.

I am not here to prove any point, just passionate about finding the truth per time and of course learning from others.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:55
Calculated values are sometimes expected to be saved especially when working with financial applications,
that is correct!
and most of the banking applications and several other enterprise apps use the calculated column or calculated results to power the bank balances, loan balances etc.
this is again true.

what application will calculate from History (if you are banking on same bank for 3 years, it will calculate each record?).
think if 100 thousand people, at same time, press the ATM/mobile app to view their balance? the system will break and you
will be waiting forever to get the result.
while if the result is already saved, the system need only the enquire that certain field. Virtually no Load time at all.

people tend to rationalize that saved result can get out-synch.
that is again the point, if the saved result is not same as the transaction calculation,
the saved result is the controlling value.
meaning the transaction may have been altered or there is a break in the system that prevent it
from updating the result.

if you are an Auditor, where would you start your investigation.
you start from the Saved result and compare it to the detailed transaction.
but since you don't want to save the calculation somewhere, where would you then start?
will you start from the transaction? it will always be Correct (whether you add/delete some
records) since there is no Final result to compare with except for itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom