Can I share xlsm Via One Drive (1 Viewer)

zezo2021

Local time
Today, 01:06
Hello
Can I share xlsm Via One Drive

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:06
That is a difficult question because it depends on the discipline you are willing to follow. Here is an article on the subject.

Note that that absolutely would not work for Access files (.ACCDB, .ACCDE, etc.) but Excel doesn't share on a LAN very well either. Therefore, sharing via cloud with a little bit of discipline MIGHT work. Strongly emphasize "MIGHT work" because this is a bet I would not take. Excel DOES use Server Message Block which the cloud DOES NOT use, but it might be possible to arrange a schedule or other operational protocol over how and when someone would be permitted to use the workbook over the cloud.

zezo2021

Local time
Today, 01:06
That is a difficult question because it depends on the discipline you are willing to follow. Here is an article on the subject.

Note that that absolutely would not work for Access files (.ACCDB, .ACCDE, etc.) but Excel doesn't share on a LAN very well either. Therefore, sharing via cloud with a little bit of discipline MIGHT work. Strongly emphasize "MIGHT work" because this is a bet I would not take. Excel DOES use Server Message Block which the cloud DOES NOT use, but it might be possible to arrange a schedule or other operational protocol over how and when someone would be permitted to use the workbook over the cloud.
Thanks

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 07:06
Server Message Block
what does SMB has to do with excel?
please quote your source.
if you have purchased Mountain Duck, it is possible to share Access, Excel or any other file
to any cloud storage.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Arnel, ALL elements of MS Office use SMB because it is the standard Windows File Sharing and Printer Sharing protocol. You want a reference?

Having read the advertising writeup and a couple of other articles, I see that Mountain Duck synchronizes a local copy of the file to the cloud-resident original file. This potentially still has the same vulnerability that an Access would have over a WAN. Excel and PowerPoint don't file-share in the same way as Access so would be more robust in that environment. The Mountain Duck people clearly state in their advertising write-up I read that this local copy is used for offline connectivity to the BE file. This is basically "relayed synchronization." For you to use the app on a cloud data source works for things that don't even try to share files simultaneously, which is true for Excel and PowerPoint. (Word isn't very happy about simultaneous sharing either.) Access and Outlook will share more freely but each in their own way.

I will admit I'm very conservative when it comes to network-based sharing. It was one of the things I had to deal with while I was working for the U.S. Navy. We WERE the Navy's regional cloud at that time. The Naval Enterprise Data Center, New Orleans, served the southeastern USA for over 60 projects in 2005 and that grew to over 80 projects a few years later. Not counting the SECRET projects to which I didn't have a need-to-know so didn't count them. But we had 1500 servers (some virtual, some physical) and perhaps 50 TB of network attached storage for the unclassified servers. Don't know and can't tell about the classified ones. Having been a cloud-minder, I understand protocols and I understand how those cloud servers work.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 07:06
so where is SMB there?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you open that link and find the 8th row in the table, you will see SMB.

I didn't say it was the ONLY protocol - but when you are talking to certain Windows functions, you have to use some version of it. Not necessarily SMB v1, which is obsolete, but SMB2 or SMB3.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Yesterday, 16:06
"...Mountain Duck synchronizes a local copy of the file to the cloud-resident original file"

I am really intrigued, but skeptical. It's hard to tease out specifics from marketing oriented materials, but it sounds like file synchronization means that a local copy of the accdb is created (or stored) and kept in synch with the OneDrive copy on some schedule via the Mountain Duck application. Timing is critical to success in that scenario. Does anything in their documentation speak to that aspect?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
So far I have not found anything, but your skepticism parallels mine, George.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom