Today, 20:17
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The
phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at
Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the
ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the
first and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a
taotl mses and you can still raed it wouthit a porbelm. This
is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by
istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

tmyers

Local time
Today, 16:17
I also read one like this where the words themselves were jumbled and every other word was missing, but it was still easily read because as we read, our minds fills in the blank. Sometimes without us even noticing it.

Also, one of the gems I have found on the internet in my days:

Read rhymes with lead and read rhymes with lead, but read doesn't rhyme with lead and read doesn't rhyme with lead.

'cuz englersh

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:17
I remember this one from someone trying to do some automated interpretation of phrases
Time flies like an arrow.

Not in the same league as jumbled words in sentences, but one where the total isn't quite the sum of the parts...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:17
it was still easily read because as we read, our minds fills in the blank. Sometimes without us even noticing it.

In fact, writers experience this as "writer's hypnosis" - in which while proofreading we fill in what we knew we wanted to say. That is why sometimes when I have written anything in my hobbyist fiction, I have to go back to revisit the text only after several months. If I write it and IMMEDIATELY enter into a "finishing" pass, followed by another and then another, there is sort of a "law of diminishing returns" that kicks in. Eventually, I cannot find any more errors - but if I then wait a couple of months, I can catch a few more bloopers.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 13:17
Wow that's amazing, @CJ_London
And coincidentally, I was just marveling a few nights about with the family about how I was terrible at doing word unscrambles - like, I couldn't figure out a single one of them, even with only 9-10 letters.

But with your words having 1st and last place, I read it approximately as fast as I read normally, Amazing.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:17
That is amazing!

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:17
now fi ew cluod olny witre cdoe lkie taht, tpyos wluod eb a tihng fo teh psat