Change of Location. (1 Viewer)

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 17:07
Just to let everyone know I am returning to live in my home village in Scotland at the beginning of April.

The period of exile is finally coming to an end :) :)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:07
Rabbie, congratulations.

How long has it been since you lived there?

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 17:07
Thanks. Been busy packing so haven't been on the forum.

61 years since I left my home village and 36 years since I left Scotland

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 10:07
This weeks Housing report:
http://www.theweek.co.uk/house-prices/61987/house-prices-see-abrupt-reversal-in-momentum
"Nationwide reports first monthly dip for two years and a sharp fall in annual growth rate"

OK, but to be fair, they didn't mention your name and that your moving there was the reason ... at least they didn't use your full name specifically. LOL

Sounds interesting! Will look forward to hearing more about your migration.

I had family there in 1425 according to records. There was some Viking thing or another. Not sure if its been enough time for me to visit the family or not. The details are a little sketchy.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:07
I would love to visit, but I doubt I would be allowed to enter England. One of my cousins did a rather exacting genealogy and found that I am distantly related to minor British nobility.

More specifically, my ancestors were in the Chancellery of the Exchequer during the time of the Cromwell revolution, which resulted in a lot of noblemen becoming shorter than they had been. Something to do with a headman and an axe.

Well, my family was never noted for being slow, dull, or stupid, so they left England and, ironically, instead of THEM coming up short, it was the TREASURY that came up short that year. Suspicions were offered, accusations made, fingers pointed, but nobody could prove anything.

Not too long after that, my ancestors showed up in the USA in the Georgia colony near Atlanta. The ULTIMATE insult, though, was that they spent whatever they brought over with them and didn't leave me a dime ('scuse me, a farthing) in the estate. Chintzy bastards!

So if the British authorities find out I'm coming, I might as well kiss the wife goodbye 'cause she won't see ME again. Do you guys still have a debtor's prison?

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 10:07
Well, SIR Doc, your ancestors stayed ahead of the outcome.
It is interesting how many of us Heinz 57 (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=heinz 57)
have ancestry across the pond.
After looking at Ancestry, would also love to go back to walk in the footsteps of my family.
Just the very idea that one of my famous ancestors who served as an officer with General George Washington (have an old newspaper that claims he and George shared the same nanny growing up) is only 200 years old.
Those blokes in Great Britain can still wear Roman hand-me-downs. Seriously, 200 years vs 2,000 years. A tradition in the US is just last week's episode of some situation comedy by comparison.
My kid goes to college and now I tell him that the "old traditional hamburger place" is now a Pot Dispensary. Of course the hamburger place was only here for a 4 year lease in the first place. We tear down and rebuild things here as often as the old mountain men changed underwear.

I use to hike to a lot of ancient Native American sites. There is something about places with a history over a couple of hundred years.

Hey Doc, do you think Rabbie will gets the hint that we are coming to visit him after he moves? Or do we need to be less subtle? ;)

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 12:07
This old quote remains as accurate as ever:

"Americans think 200 years is a long time, and Brits think 200 miles is a long distance."

All that we really know about my family in the Old Country is that my paternal grandmother's family is descended from Clan Stewart. Mostly, though, three or four hundred years of frontiersmen, soldiers, and eventually farmers were utterly uninterested in remembering what brought the Prince family (if that was even our last name originally) to America from the UK.

Personally, I've always been more interested in my great-great-great-great-grandmother, who was a Native American woman found wandering alone on the Ohio river. If she ever said why she was doing that, it never got passed down.

Last edited:

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:07
I know that my American ancestry started with a trapper in Louisiana that came from Ireland just before the Revolutionary war (which he fought in). Before that it gets a little hard to trace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom