Changes in GCSE grading (1 Viewer)

drisconsult

Drisconsult
Local time
Today, 05:00
Hello All
There has been significant changes in the way that GCSE examination are going to be marked/graded. Previously the top grade was an A* and the lowest grade was a 9. Now there are only numeric grades and the grades are now 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,U.
I have had to make huge changes in the way that I present GCSE results in my school database. The new grades mentioned have to be numeric so that averages can be shown on my forms. I need to count the number of grade "9" there are in each examination. For instance a student may get a grade 7 for English.
How would I count the number of times a grade 7 has appeared? I am showing a screenshot of the GCSE data entry for the mock exam. You will see that there are grades ranging from 9 to 3. How do I count the number grade 9s there are in each of the fields? A grade 9 can appear in any field, this is of course down to the ability of the student. Thank you in advance.
Terence Driscoll
London

Attachments

• SMIS1.png
    SMIS1.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 235

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 05:00
If your data is normalised, all subjects will be in one field and all grades will be in a second field. Counting the number of grade 9s (etc) will then be trivial.
However, if you have separate fields for each subject this will be much more difficult.
What is your data structure?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Yesterday, 23:00
How would I count the number of times a grade 7 has appeared?

With a properly set up database this is trivial:

Code:
SELECT COUNT(GradeID) FROM Grades WHERE GradeValue=7

I don't suspect thats exactly what you want. The first red flag is that it is indeed very easy to get that. The second is that you showed us your form--which has nothing to do with how you store your data. The last is that this question was so genericized it can't really help you.

You posted this in the Report section, but your question was answered by a very easy query. I cannot believe you really care how many total 7's there are in the entire database, but some total number by subject or by student or by some other field. Probably gonna want an average in there as well.

I suggest you mock up the report you want and think about what it is you want. Then when you need help post a screenshot of that sample report along with a screenshot of your Relationship Tool in Access so we can understand your tables and work with the actual names you have used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom