Changing the data model of an FE Access/BE SqlAzure (1 Viewer)

Etxezarreta

Local time
Today, 23:41
Hello everyone,
I created an Access FE/Sql Azure BE tool that works well.
I would like to improve the data model, so my question is: how can I quickly and safely"import" both datas and data model form SqlAzure?
I could transform each table in a local one, but my fears are:
- the links would be lost
- I would have to rename the new local tables
What would you recommend please?
Many thanks.
Etxe.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:41
Can you use backup and restore?

Etxezarreta

Local time
Hello DB Guy,
I am not sure to understand: is it a native MSAccess function?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 22:41
Let me make sure I understand the question.

You want to make schema changes (Table column additions and replacements) to the current Azure model, in Access, then upload that new model once testing it locally?

Etxezarreta

Local time
Hi Minty,

Yes, I need to change some connections between tables, to modify some keys, remove a couple of tables, test it locally and migrate again to SqlAzure.
Thanks a lot.
Etxe.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
In Access you can right click the linked table and convert to Local.
1618499908069.png

This will copy the structure and data over, and is really quick.

I'm not sure i would do it this way, I would probably take a back up af the existing Azure DB, and create a new Development Azure DB with that.
Now create a copy of your existing front end Call it (DEV_Db or similar to remind you) and relink that to the new DEV Azure DB.

Now everything is exactly as it was, but you have a development version.
Make careful notes about what you change as you go and script the changes once the bug fixes are out of the way.
You can also give someone this FE to play with on DEV data for testing purposes.

This way any stored procedures views etc are already to rock and roll on your new structures without interrupting your workflow.

Etxezarreta

Local time
Thanks for your detailled explanation.
How do you get a back up af the existing Azure DB? Do I have to open a ticket and will be charged?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
No / yes / maybe :cool:
If you have access to your Azure portal you can restore a backup at anytime just make absolutely sure you don't restore it over the current live data. If in doubt Google and watch a tutorial.

There will be a charge for the Azure DB but if it's only up for a small period and doesn't require many resources, it should be very minimal.
We do it all the time, and the costs just disappear in the overall Azure bills. (Which aren't horrendous, so we don't really check too much).

The other option would be to open a Developer account, and you get a platform for free for a period of time. Again Google for the specifics and what you can and can't do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom