Changing to Office 365 (1 Viewer)

petko

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:10
Having replaced my notebook in these days I had to change to Office 365. Previously I used Office 2013, all my files are accdb. I started the database back in 2007.
After changing to Office 365 I have problems with running codes. But not consequent. Some of the codes run with no problem, some stop with error. The popping up error message is not really informative, it says something like Error ocurred in the communication between MS Access and OLE server or ActiveX controller.
Having no better idea I compared the References in my old and new notebook: the only difference I found is that the old one uses MS Access 15.0 Object LIbrary, the new uses MS Access 16.0.
Do you have any idea what the reason could be?

I do appreciate your help.

petko

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:10
Hi. If you try to compile your file, does it give you any errors?

petko

Registered User.
Local time
Hi theDBguy,

I can compile it without error.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:10
Hi theDBguy,

I can compile it without error.
Okay, that tells me it's not a bitness problem, which is good. In case you're dealing with a corruption problem, have you tried importing all the objects into a new db file and see if it makes any difference?

petko

Registered User.
Local time
I imported all objects into a new db. Unfortunately it makes the same error message.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:10
The popping up error message is not really informative, it says something like Error ocurred in the communication between MS Access and OLE server or ActiveX controller.
What is the code doing that causes the error. Use cntl-break to open to the error. You can also modify your error handling to stop on that error so you can examine the code.

PS - "code" is both singular and plural so you run code, not codes. Codes are lists of values like zip codes or area codes.

petko

Registered User.
Local time
What is the code doing that causes the error. Use cntl-break to open to the error. You can also modify your error handling to stop on that error so you can examine the code.

PS - "code" is both singular and plural so you run code, not codes. Codes are lists of values like zip codes or area codes.

Hi Pat,

I'm not able to check the error itself. I set a stop point at the header of the sub but the popup message pops up before it starts running the sub. Is there a way I can check it somehow?
Regarding the code I know it worked well before the change. Now mass of errors occure, only a minority of the code run with no error. But I'm not able to find the root.
So any further input is highly appreciated!

Thanks for the grammer hints!

petko

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Have you looked to see if there is a broken reference? Open any code module and go to tools/references.

petko

Registered User.
Local time
Ok, I've just made an empty db with a form, having a single button on it. When I try to make a sub a message pops up: MS Access is not able to make a Visual Basic modul.
It tells me it must be something very obvious general setting.

I enabled Active-X control under File/Data protection center (my translation is probably different from MS's expression)

Do you have any hint for the reason?

petko

petko

Registered User.
Local time
Have you looked to see if there is a broken reference? Open any code module and go to tools/references.
I can't see any broken element in the reference list.
The only strange thing is is that I can't uncheck Microsoft Access 16.0 Object Library as vby says 'can't remove control or reference: in use'.

Please let me know if you have any input in mind.

Thanks

petko

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Try compact
Try decompile
Try building new, empty FE and importing all objects.
Do all of the above in that order.

Martyh

Registered User.
Local time
Try compact
Try decompile
Try building new, empty FE and importing all objects.
Do all of the above in that order.
I actually had the same problem and followed your steps to a Tee. Lo and behold I am free of the problem!!!

I am SURE that ALL bridge players STILL know ALL the tricks :cool:

petko

Registered User.
Local time
It took a while to find out the exact problem but I'm stocked with the solution. If any of you have suggestion, that'd be great.

It turned out that I the described error message appears if there is character Ű, ű, Ő or ő used in any of my forms’ name or in any of the form’s object’s name. I avoided using these characters since beginning of the development, however the Hungarian default name for form’s header and footer, given by Access, includes these characters so nearly all my forms are useless now. I have few hundreds of them and before re-naming things I’d like to ask if you have anything in mind to solve the problem on easier way.

Thanks

petko

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A few hundred forms is a lot. The NameAutoCorrect won't be any use because it doesn't change code or object names on forms. So, turn it off. Hopefully someone will post a link to find and replace or whatever the current version is called.

Pease report the bug to MS using the feedback button but don't hold your breath waiting for a solution. You are going to have to bite the bullet and change all the offending names yourself:(

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
[...] however the Hungarian default name for form’s header and footer, given by Access, includes these characters so nearly all my forms are useless now. I have few hundreds of them and before re-naming things I’d like to ask if you have anything in mind to solve the problem on easier way.
Do you use Hungarian characters in your VBA code when referencing the headers or footers?

You can use a tool like our Find and Replace to replace all these names. - As there are only a few isolated properties affected, you could also write some VBA code to replace these names.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@sonic8,
Does the tool examine form/report/control properties and SQL strings as well as VBA?

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
@sonic8,
Does the tool examine form/report/control properties and SQL strings as well as VBA?
Absolutely! Find and Replace examines everything within an Access database. - The only exception I can think of right now are Microsoft Office User Forms, which hardly anyone uses in an Access context.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom