Charting data over time (1 Viewer)

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 08:18
Hey all,

I have quality data that is calculated in the aggregate and can be queried over a specified time period. For example, quality was 97.50% for the period of March 1 to March 31 using a simple formula of ([Pieces]-[Defects])/[Pieces]. I do not store the results of those calculations. If I wanted to chart a quality level at each point in time, how should I set up the data structure? I need it to be for only 1 product at a time. I imagine the X axis being time and Y being the quality level. I have a query that gives me everything except the points in time.

Last edited:

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:18
you already have the calculation, which I presume to be in a query? Simply plot the query on a graph and you should be done?

zeroaccess

Local time
Actually no, I don't think I do. I need the quality level at each point in time, probably the (sum of pieces-sum of defects)/sum of pieces from all inspections per day. I don't have that, but after playing around with the charts (both old and new) I've got some ideas to work with. At least I hope I'm on the right track.

Edit: I think I have the query right, playing with the chart now.

Last edited:

zeroaccess

Local time
I must be missing something here...attached is my data set and the chart result. Plotted (blue) line never exceeds 50%, yet my values reach 95%? Any insights?

Attachments

• ModernChart.png
    ModernChart.png
    96.8 KB · Views: 366

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Looking at the individual data, I would have to say that your plot makes sense. It is the "95%" column that is suspect. So... how is that specific column generated in your query that gets you to that datasheet?

zeroaccess

Local time
Looking at the individual data, I would have to say that your plot makes sense. It is the "95%" column that is suspect. So... how is that specific column generated in your query that gets you to that datasheet?
The first percentage is simply:

Quality Level: ([SumOfSamples]-[CountOfQS])/[SumOfSamples]

The second is hard-coded. The value is 0.975.

zeroaccess

Local time
How strange. The chart seems to flatline at 50%. Here's another item - the blue line should reach 100% at all points except one.

Attachments

• ModernChart2.png
    ModernChart2.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Without seeing the whole query that drives that, and then knowing the association used for the X/Y axes, I cannot diagnose this further.

You had originally claimed you didn't have daily data but to get that chart, you had to have it because MS Chart is notoriously pig-headed if you don't give it good data. It won't let you do a time-based X-Y scatter (with or without lines) if you don't have data to support it. (Been there, done that.)

zeroaccess

Local time
I changed to a Stacked Line chart and it seems to be improved, however I can't have both lines coexist or they don't play nice together. Removing the AQL field from the chart corrects the behavior. It should be possible to have both. I guess I'm not understanding how or why they would interact with each other.

Yes, I was able to assemble that with the query builder.

zeroaccess

Local time
ModernChart3.png

Handy, but really finicky. And no way to include the product name for the series that I can see.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Should be able to introduce a text value for the Y axis, over and above (well... to the left of) the axis numbering.

zeroaccess

Local time
It seems it's all manual. I can't do =[fieldname] or anything like that. Bummer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom