Check if db is open (1 Viewer)

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:39
I would like to be able to check if a db is open and if it is to prevent the user from proceeding.

I use the Access 2013 Runtime. I can check if a db is open by trying to open Exclusively, using something like

Code:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/210359

But if the db is already open Not exclusively and I try to open it exclusively it does not raise an error and it allows the user to open the db in Read Only mode.

I would like to be able to prevent this, because careless and/or inexperienced users may open several instances of the db.

Of course, if the db is already open exclusively it does not allow you to open it exclusively another time.

Thanks

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 13:39
I used the code below picked up somewhere to prevent more than one instance of my current db to open. It can probably be adopted to your needs.

Updtae: On reflection, is there no way to see how a particualr insatnce has been opened ? Id' look into that. Because the solution I gave you can be noticeably slow.

Code:
Function IsRunning() As Integer
    Dim DB As dao.Database

If gcfHandleErrors Then On Error GoTo IsRunning_Error

Set DB = CurrentDb

If TestDDELink(DB.Name) Then

'("PTD Shipping is already open")

DB.Close

Set DB = Nothing

DoCmd.Quit

End If

IsRunning_Exit:

On Error Resume Next

Exit Function

IsRunning_Error:

Select Case Err.Number

Case Else

MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & " (" & Err.Description & ") in procedure IsRunning of Module InitTools"

Resume IsRunning_Exit

End Select

End Function

Function TestDDELink(ByVal strAppName$) As Integer

Dim varDDEChannel

On Error Resume Next

Application.SetOption ("Ignore DDE Requests"), True

varDDEChannel = DDEInitiate("MSAccess", strAppName)

' When the app isn't already running this will error

If Err Then

TestDDELink = False

Else

TestDDELink = True

DDETerminate varDDEChannel

DDETerminateAll

End If

Application.SetOption ("Ignore DDE Requests"), False

End Function

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks spikepl, will try it out.

A sort of relevant question, if I open exclusively the FE on pc1 can I open the same FE exclusively on pc2? Also can I change the BE db on pc3 from pc1 and pc2 when open exclusively?

Thanks

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 13:39
It doesn't check for exclusive or not. It checks for instances either on same machine or under same login name - I suspect the former. So it is also not related to your question about BE.

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Unfortunately, the same login may appear on other pcs.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:39
There's an API that stops multiple instances of an application from being instantiated but I can't remember what it's called.

However, if we think about this in simple terms, GetObject() will fail if the db is opened so you could give that a try. The other thing to do is to check for a lock file, but the only downside with this is that if the user's db crashes the lock file doesn't get deleted. For the third option, there's a schema in Access that lists users.

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:39
There's an API that stops multiple instances of an application from being instantiated but I can't remember what it's called.

However, if we think about this in simple terms, GetObject() will fail if the db is opened so you could give that a try. The other thing to do is to check for a lock file, but the only downside with this is that if the user's db crashes the lock file doesn't get deleted. For the third option, there's a schema in Access that lists users.
is the API something like createmutex?

Oh and don't know if this works but there's code here..
http://access.mvps.org/access/api/api0041.htm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom