Check List with check boxes (1 Viewer)

Chespirito

Local time
Yesterday, 19:31
Hello, I need some advise on how to build this form. I created the first page but it seems like I have to create way too many check-boxes. The access report must look like the "HQS Form" attached. I created a check box for each Yes, No, Inconclusive field but if you look at the HQS form I have to create about 80 check boxes. Do I have to create a field for each box or is there a better way of doing this ? any help will be much appreciated. I have a table that pulls the name and address from another table and the rest check boxes are on a another table for now until I figure out how to structure it. See MS access form to see what I have so far.

Attachments

• HQS Form.PDF
    742 KB · Views: 112
  • MS_Form.png
    MS_Form.png
    86.6 KB · Views: 111

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:31
You may find this useful:-

Chespirito

Local time
Thank you for your quick response Gizmo, I saw checked out your videos and the seem a bit overwhelming for me since I am not a programmer. Can your sample be customized to fit my needs without much coding. you can email me here if you prefer. platanudo@hotmail.com thank you.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Type of inspection is mutually exclusive and so should be either a combo, a listbox, or an option group. You need to end up with one single value to represent the type of inspection.

Housing type is also mutually exclusive and so should also be either a combo, a listbox or an option group. You need to end up with one single value to represent the type of housing.

Decision is also mutually exclusive so the above rules apply.

To make your form and report look like the existing paper documents, your best choice will be an option group since it can show both the box and a name. And YES, if you want to show all 80 options, you will need 80 options in the SINGLE option group but you will still end up with ONE column each in your table for at least these three items. Some lists are multi-select (although I don't see any on your form). These CANNOT be represented by option groups, they must be represented by combos in a subform.

If you have to produce blank documents that will be manually filled in, you are somewhat constrained because you will probably need to display all the options next to checkboxes. However, if you are creating a report, you only have to display the single selected option and so the layout could be much simpler.

Do not allow presentation to control your table design. Your tables should not contain individual fields for each option, period!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:31
Can your Check-List Sample be customised to fit my needs?

I posted the link because it appeared to me that your "housing type" list of checkboxes would benefit from the process I use. You can download the sample file from this link:- https://gum.co/MultipleChecklists If you missed the opportunity to download this for free then contact me and I will advise you how you can get it for free.

I have made several sets of YouTube videos showing how to create a single checklist and multiple checklists, and also how to convert the basic idea to record text answers, multi choice answers and the like. See my blog here for further information.

Add a Checklist to MS Access

Multiple Checklists

Checklist User Case Examples

Discussion - Links

Check List Extras

If you watch the videos and find something you don't understand then send me a time indexed link to the position in the video where you would like further help. I will get back to you. If there is anything else which is unclear, either in the videos, on the website again, let me know as I would like to perfect this set of instructions. I am well aware that it is imperfect to say the least!

Update:-
The sets of videos should be viewed in the same order they appear on this page, start off with the checklist set, learn how to create a single checklist, then move on to the multiple checklist set, then have a look at the user case videos. All are minor improvements/advancements on the previous set of videos. Hence you will get the most benefit if you do them in the right order. Don't forget what I said above, if you get stuck, send me a time indexed linked to the position in the video where you get stuck and I will do my best to help.

Last edited:

Chespirito

Local time
Great! thank you so much for the free download and thank you for your patience. I will try to apply that to what I am doing. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks a million again.

Chespirito

Local time
Pat, I did the option groups for "Type of inspection, Housing type and Summary Decision" but I am stuck on how to do the following items (1. Living Room Present) etc. I attempted to use an option group but I only end up with one option per column and I need 3 options per row (Yes Pass / No Fail / Inconclusive). and what about the comments and dates ? will these have to be single fields ?

Uncle Gizmo is a "genius" what he created is great. I could not figure out how to implement it on my database. I attempted to revere engineer but failed. hahaha I am stuck. I thank you for your time and suggestions.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I hadn't looked at the pdf. The other sections of the form need to be a subform. It is extremely difficult to reproduce a paper form like this using an Access report. If you have to adhere to the EXACT layout, you are going to need to use Word to recreate the form and then populate it from Access, using code which is significantly more complicated. You can come close with an Access report but without making an unnormalized schema, you won't be able to get the spacing right.

Start with getting the answer to "how exactly does the Access report need to match the HUD form?" If "close enough for government work" is the answer then we'll work on your schema so you can produce the results you need.

Also, keep in mind that the Access form doesn't have to match the HUD form exactly. It just needs to be able to capture all the data. It is printing the HUD form that is the insurmountable problem and if the Access output must match the HUD form EXACTLY, then I'm afraid you're going to have to learn how to automate Word using OLE.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You will need a group table to define the high level groups such as 1. Living Room, 2. Kitchen and a detail table for the items in the group such as 2.1 Kitchen Area Present, 2.2 Electricity. Then you will need a propetyDetails table where you will store the results of the inspections for each item.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom