Citrix (1 Viewer)

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 07:17
Does access work with Citrix.

What happens to FE tables.

What happens when you create a temp table - or a queryDef that is used for a report and deleted.

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 10:17
Citrix is like the old pc anywhere. All the client is doing is using the monitor, keyboard & mouse to control the host. Everything happens on the host like you are sitting at it using it's keyboard, etc. I think when you log into a citrix account, you see everything you would see if you were signed into any other pc on the network. The drive mappings may give you a head ache, but that's how it's setup here at work...

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
This may be diifcult to explain as I do not know the correct terminology.

I want 10 user to use a Access db - currently they have a FE on their PC and a db (SQL Server) on a server.

To move to Citrix- all this will be accessed thru Citrix account(s).

I have beed told I would install one mde. And Citrix would allow mutiple users to use this mde.

Is this differant to having one front end on a traditional server which 10 people logged on to. (Which would cause problems and is not the way to do it)

Will temp tables, queries and other local FE objects work in Citrix as they do when the FE is on the users PC. (These would not work if everyone accessed the same mde FE on a traditional server?)

I hope I communicated what I am trying to ask.

KenHigg

Local time
Here's the way it works here: When I log into citrix, a new session starts up on the citrix box and uses my windows credentials to access my network drives and I can also see the local c:drive, although it shows up as v:drive.

So I'm guessing you would place the fe and be on a network drive share that everyone has rights to. I'm also guessing that if the user has the fe on the local pc, they would not be able to see the be through the citrix session...

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Thanks Ken - but I think I've confused the question.

The FE and and BE will be all Citrixed - ie nothing on the PCs.

I am told I will install one FE on citrix and everyone uses that. Will Citrix solve the traditional problems of everyone using one FE?

Paul

KenHigg

Local time
Hum... As far as I know Citrix has no magic file sharing functionality. Also, as far multiple users sharing the same FE, I have several dbs where multiple users use the same FE and I rarely if ever have a problem.

Here's a screenshot of what I can see when running FrontPage that is running on Citrix. Looks like the actual FP program is running an the citrix machine c:drive. So I assume your Access app will run there. As you can see, I also have access to all of my share drives through citrix as well my own local c:drive (mapped as v:). In your case, it sounds like your IT will put both your be and fe .mdbs on the local citrix machine c:drive somewhere. I wouldn't be too concerned about sharing the fe... (But that's just from my experience...)

Attachments

• citrix_01.gif
    citrix_01.gif
    14.2 KB · Views: 476

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom