Color in one cell in a table to shows in Reports (1 Viewer)

jireland

Local time
Yesterday, 22:32
I know that if I change the font color, the whole table becomes that color. I also know that if I want to change a single cell to a specific color, I can do so in a Form or Report. My problem is that I am using Access as an internal reservation program. I put all our group resercations in a table and then create a report that is handed out to all our point of sales weekly (to let them know what groups are coming in). A lot of things change in one week and I would like to highlight or change the font in one paticular cell...aka if a group has a change in numbers (30 people vs. 20) I would like to make the change and highlight that cell for myself and the ticket sellers (becuase the report goes out weekly).

Pleaseeee help....I've tried everything and can change that cell in a Form but not when Im in the Table and want it to reflect when I print the Report.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Relational tables do not have "cells". They have rows and columns. There is no way to store formatting information for what you are thinking of as a cell in Excel.

If you want to color individual controls in a form or report, for specific rows, you'll need to do it with conditional formatting or VBA code in an appropriate event. You have more flexibility in VBA plus you can specify more than 4 options per control. The downside is that the VBA solution won't work in a datasheet or continuous form view.

You'll need to figure out what values in what columns of a row will be used to color another control. Once you identify that, we can help with the actual formatting.

jireland

Local time
Thank you Pat.

It sounds like it just won’t work. I think I was hoping that what I altered on my table would reflect on the Report for our ticket sellers/myself/clients. (i.e. add cell color to reflect a change made to the "reservation" and have it correlate to the Report I create)
I can alter the cell color in the Form-conditional formatting and what looks like a one-time change on the Report but because I need it to reflect in what was originally imputed to show a change in the reservation. The table and the report don’t seem to communicate on the cell-coloring level??? I think.

Is it possible that Im not using Access correctly? I make a Table and then a Query with that and THEN generate a Report per week or when a Report is needed to update our Ticket Sellers.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'll say it again. Relational tables don't have cells. Period. Excel keeps properties for every cell in a sheet because the presentation layer and data layer are merged. This is good for one-off things and ok for things that are always the same but not-so-good for things that occur in sets (although Excel supports conditional formatting also). Relational databases are all about sets. Once you identify a set (a set can be 1), you can operate on it altogether. To colorize individual controls, you need to be able to classify what makies them unique.

Why doesn't the conditional formatting rule you used on the form work on the report?

So, if you can identify the "set" a record belongs to based on values in its row, you can use custom formatting.

jireland

Local time
Thank you again Pat for your response!

I now understand the "cell" thing but I guess what Im telling you is that Im using Access wrong beucase each "reservation" has a row with is divided into "date of arrival", "time of arrival", etc.

When I tried to manipulate the color in Report, here is where I got to:

See attached.

What should I do next (if anything :eek:).

j Capture_Access.jpg

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I can't tell you. I don't know what your criteria is for applying color. Examine this box carefully, there are other options than "field valie" "is between". Why not copy what you did on the form?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@girsaum,
Normally, I would say welcome aboard when I encountered a post by a new member but I'm not sure what your comment means or why you would apply it to a 9 year old thread. All I can say is it isn't an auspicious beginning for your membership. I don't know where you learned your forum behavior but we don't call each other names here so consider this a warning.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:32
@girsaum, I will say this once and ONLY once. You DO NOT offer that kind of insults to our members who are trying to help inexperienced members. Pat may or may not take action, but if you insult anyone else and Pat misses it, just be aware that other moderators are on the board too. We will cut your account off cold if you want to take that attitude. This is not some social media board where people can casually toss around insults. We actually have a technical orientation here and our non-tech sections are not our primary business.

If you want to insult people, go somewhere else. 'nuff said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom