Combo box showing primary values (1 Viewer)

stu_c

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:00
Hi all
I have a combo box (CmbStaffDetails) box showing a list of staff from a query named (QRYStaffDetails_InPost) this query shows what staff members are currently working.

I Have three tables
TBLStaffDetails
StaffID (Primary Key / AutoNumber)
Forename
Surname
Location (Lookup from TBLOfficeLocations)
Inpost (Yes/No)

TBLOfficeLocations
LocationID (Primary Key / AutoNumber)
Unit Code
Area

TBLStaffRoles
RoleID (Primary Key / AutoNumber)
JobTitles
PayBand

When I click on the drop down list on the form to choose a staff member the Office location shows the LocationID and not the Unit code, and same with the StaffRole showing RoleID not JobTitles,

When I go into the actual Query it shows the correct Text

how do I show this on the form?

any help please?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:00
Hi. Sounds like you're using "lookup fields" at the table level. If so, suggest you take them out. To fix your problem, you'll have to modify the query to join the lookup tables and then pull the text descriptions/names instead of the IDs. Hope that helps...

stu_c

Registered User.
Local time
Hi mate
Thanks for the quick Reply, yes I have used the lookup from the Table Level, I have never done it from the Query side, can you provide any help on how to do this? didn't even know that was possible

Hi. Sounds like you're using "lookup fields" at the table level. If so, suggest you take them out. To fix your problem, you'll have to modify the query to join the lookup tables and then pull the text descriptions/names instead of the IDs. Hope that helps...

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 00:00
When I click on the drop down list on the form to choose a staff member the Office location shows the LocationID and not the Unit code, and same with the StaffRole showing RoleID not JobTitles,
r u sure the issue isn't the column widths?

combo_col_widths.jpg

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:00
Hi mate
Thanks for the quick Reply, yes I have used the lookup from the Table Level, I have never done it from the Query side, can you provide any help on how to do this? didn't even know that was possible
Okay, let's say you have an Employee table and in it, you had a Foreign Key for the Office location. However, you decided to use a lookup field to show the Office Name instead of the OfficeID in that field. So, if your Combobox query says something like:
SQL:
SELECT EmpID, EmployeeName, OfficeID FROM Employees
Then, all I'm saying is you may have to change it into something like this:
SQL:
SELECT EmpID, EmployeeName, OfficeName FROM Employees INNER JOIN Offices ON Employees.OfficeID=Offices.OfficeID
Hope that helps...

stu_c

Registered User.
Local time
sorry I am not too great with access still really learning :(, I have no idea what you mean :(

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
sorry I am not too great with access still really learning :(, I have no idea what you mean :(
if that's the case stu, the best thing I would recommend for you is to upload the file and let someone SHOW you how to do this. otherwise, this thread might get quite long.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
ok stu there's quite a bit wrong here.

1) your combo does NOT pull from the query. the sql is:
Code:
SELECT [TBLStaffDetails].[StaffID], [TBLStaffDetails].[Forename], [TBLStaffDetails].[Surname], [TBLStaffDetails].[Location], [
TBLStaffDetails].[Role], [TBLStaffDetails].[InPost]
FROM TBLStaffDetails ORDER BY [Surname], [Forename], [StaffID];
2) the data in your table is the SAME as the data in your query. i'm pretty sure you don't want that, right?
3) your quote:
Code:
the Office location shows the LocationID and not the Unit code
is true because of #1 and #2 I've just pointed out.

try reworking your stuff and then posting again ;) you need to include OFFICE LOCATIONS (field = unit code) in your combo's sql, for one thing. it looks like you already have the relationships set up to do this.

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
hi Stu,

be sure to change the Field SIZE property in the lower pane for Short Text Fields, unless they're notes and need to actually be 255

Its helpful to name the fields the same when they are the same. For instance, in TBLStaffDetails, field should be RoleID
I noticed you used StaffIDFK instead of StaffID. Some like to add FK to foreign key fields, but I like the keep the names the same. This is personal preference, whatever is comfortable for you. Its easier to be the same, and I like easy :)

Also, "Role" is a reserved word and shouldn't be used for a name

Problem names and reserved words in Access by Allen Browne

I also changed Location to LocationID

on relationships, be sure the check the box to Enforce Referential Integrity
rel_200420.png

changed the RowSource for your combo to include 2 more tables to provide the text values you want to see

attached is your edited database. To attach a database to a post, ZIP it up ;) To do this, you can right-click the filename in Windows Explorer and Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder

Attachments

• Mockup Database2_edit.zip
    33.7 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

stu_c

Registered User.
Local time
Hi mate thank you for the below, I would have ZIPPED the file but its been disabled on our computers :), ill have a look and see what you have done and compare, thank you

hi Stu,

be sure to change the Field SIZE property in the lower pane for Short Text Fields, unless they're notes and need to actually be 255

Its helpful to name the fields the same when they are the same. For instance, ZIin TBLStaffDetails, field should be RoleID
I noticed you used StaffIDFK instead of StaffID. Some like to add FK to foreign key fields, but I like the keep the names the same. This is personal preference, whatever is comfortable for you. Its easier to be the same, and I like easy :)

Also, "Role" is a reserved word and shouldn't be used for a name

Problem names and reserved words in Access by Allen Browne

I also changed Location to LocationID

on relationships, be sure the check the box to Enforce Referential Integrity
View attachment 81153

changed the RowSource for your combo to include 2 more tables to provide the text values you want to see

attached is your edited database. To attach a database to a post, ZIP it up ;) To do this, you can right-click the filename in Windows Explorer and Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
you're welcome, Stu ... perhaps I am a mate-ette though ;) it doesn't much matter, call me whatever you like

stu_c

Registered User.
Local time
just a quick thing, If on my form I was to add another field for location to the form for staffs location, if I create a new record and select the staff if automatically adds their location which is fine, if for what ever reason I change the location on that record it changes the previous record of this staff members location, if there a way to keep the previous record as the last recorded?

Last edited:

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Stu, if the location may change on the PersonalRecords, then you should also put LocationID in that table. When a record is created, it could have an initial value of wherever the staff person is at that time, as indicated in the StaffDetails table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom