Compare DateTime variables in SQL query - VBA (2 Viewers)

npa3000

Local time
Today, 18:05
Hey, i want to run a query that uses a DateTime criteria as follows:

Code:
Dim SQL As String
Dim rs As Recordset
clientId = Me.CLIENT_ID
supplierId = Me.SUPPLIER_ID
dateIss = Me.AddedAt

SQL = "SELECT TRANSACTIONS.ID FROM TRANSACTIONS WHERE (TRANSACTIONS.TRANS_CAT = 1 OR 3 OR 4) AND TRANSACTIONS.CLIENT_ID= " & clientId & " AND TRANSACTIONS.SUPPLIER_ID= " & supplierId & " AND TRANSACTIONS.addedDate >= '" & dateIss & "'"

Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(SQL)

But i get this error: "Data type mismatch in criteria expresssion"

Any ideas?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:05
Hi. Dates in Access need the # delimiters. You could try it this way:

Code:
SQL = "SELECT TRANSACTIONS.ID FROM TRANSACTIONS WHERE (TRANSACTIONS.TRANS_CAT = 1 OR 3 OR 4) AND TRANSACTIONS.CLIENT_ID= " & clientId & " AND TRANSACTIONS.SUPPLIER_ID= " & supplierId & " AND TRANSACTIONS.addedDate >= #" & Format(CDate(dateIss), "yyyy-mm-dd") & "#"

npa3000

Local time
Hi. Dates in Access need the # delimiters. You could try it this way:

Code:
SQL = "SELECT TRANSACTIONS.ID FROM TRANSACTIONS WHERE (TRANSACTIONS.TRANS_CAT = 1 OR 3 OR 4) AND TRANSACTIONS.CLIENT_ID= " & clientId & " AND TRANSACTIONS.SUPPLIER_ID= " & supplierId & " AND TRANSACTIONS.addedDate >= #" & Format(CDate(dateIss), "yyyy-mm-dd") & "#"
Thanks!
It works, but my field also saves the time... How can i fix that ?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thanks!
It works, but my field also saves the time... How can i fix that ?
Just a guess, but maybe try changing this part?
Code:
...& " AND TRANSACTIONS.addedDate >= #" & Format(DateValue(dateIss), "yyyy-mm-dd") & "#"

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 16:05
I wouldn't have thought you would want the time.?
If you have a dateIss as 04/10/2021 12:00 and addedDate was today, you would miss that record?

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Also, this probably doesn't do what you think it does...
Code:
(TRANSACTIONS.TRANS_CAT = 1 OR 3 OR 4)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:05
I'll help with MarkK's comment. His comment relates to the semantics of what you wrote.

(TRANSACTIONS.TRANS_CAT = 1 OR 3 OR 4) will be evaluated as a value that is either TRUE or FALSE based on whether TRANS_CAT is or isn't 1. Then it will be LOGICALLY OR'd with 3, which will equal either TRUE or 3. THAT result will be logically OR'd with 4, leaving you with either TRUE or 7. TRUE is -1 as the result of a Boolean expression. So your possible results are -1 or 7. BOTH of which evaluate as TRUE since only 0 is FALSE.

To make that work, you would need (using shorter notation) TRANS_CAT = 1 OR TRANS_CAT = 3 OR TRANS_CAT = 4 (if that is really what you wanted to test.)

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:05
I'll help with MarkK's comment. His comment relates to the semantics of what you wrote.

(TRANSACTIONS.TRANS_CAT = 1 OR 3 OR 4) will be evaluated as a value that is either TRUE or FALSE based on whether TRANS_CAT is or isn't 1. Then it will be LOGICALLY OR'd with 3, which will equal either TRUE or 3. THAT result will be logically OR'd with 4, leaving you with either TRUE or 7. TRUE is -1 as the result of a Boolean expression. So your possible results are -1 or 7. BOTH of which evaluate as TRUE since only 0 is FALSE.

To make that work, you would need (using shorter notation) TRANS_CAT = 1 OR TRANS_CAT = 3 OR TRANS_CAT = 4 (if that is really what you wanted to test.)
Not sure if SQL OR works like that.
He basically wrote :
( (TRANSACTIONS.TRANS_CAT = 1) OR (3) OR (4) )

If you want the solution you mention, you can use IN(...) too
like TRANS_CAT IN (1,3,4)

Last edited:

npa3000

Local time
Just a guess, but maybe try changing this part?
Code:
...& " AND TRANSACTIONS.addedDate >= #" & Format(DateValue(dateIss), "yyyy-mm-dd") & "#"
No, it doesn't work

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 23:05
Code:
SQL = "SELECT TRANSACTIONS.ID FROM TRANSACTIONS WHERE ((TRANSACTIONS.TRANS_CAT) IN (1,3,4)) AND ((TRANSACTIONS.CLIENT_ID)= " & clientId & ") AND ((TRANSACTIONS.SUPPLIER_ID)= " & supplierId & ") AND ((TRANSACTIONS.addedDate) >= #" & format(dateIss,"mm/dd/yyyy") & "#)"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom